First Staggered hatch... Silkie x EE eggs, due 13th and 21st!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Colorist, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Colorist

Colorist Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    On the 10th the three older eggs go into the other bator for lockdown, hopefully hatching on the 13th. I have the eggs numbered, there are numbers #1-6 right now. The younger three will go in the same separate bator on the 18th!

I candled the first three and guess what?! It is ALL DARK inside, with a big air cell! They only have 9 more days until lockdown [​IMG] But these are pullet eggs, so I am so glad my silkie has been doing his job (because he had no use anywhere else >.>) xD

For a pullet, and I mean a pullet that has been laying a week and a half at most, these are HUGE pastel blue eggs... bigger than the ones we buy at the store! It will be interesting to see what hatches... considering the silkie daddy is bantam.

Soo...
    Anyone wanna hatch with me?

Official Eggs Update on 12/1:
    Egg 1: Very dark, medium-large air cell.
    Egg 2: Same as 1
    Egg 3: Same as 1
    Egg 4: Blood Island, small embryo speck
    Egg 5: Blood Island, small embryo speck
    Egg 6: Blood Island, small embryo speck

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] I tried a staggered hatch and failed miserably. My hats off to you and I hope you have a HUGE success.

3. Colorist

Sep 27, 2010
    Thanks! I hope so too [​IMG]

The only thing I'm worried about is the day of hatching and if I will be able to leave them alone, as that is where the problems have arose from in the past. I usually have no problem getting at least 90% to lockdown. Most of the deaths I've had are either from shrink wrapping from me opening the bator or me dropping them by mistake. I get so nervous I try not to candle unless someone smells bad.

I've had 100% hatch with 50 button quail and also 95% hatch with Dominique eggs xD Hopefully will get 100% with this one.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am certainly rootin for ya!!!

5. Colorist

Sep 27, 2010
    Update:

Nothing has changed with the first set of eggs, starting to think they are closer to hatching than I originally thought. We will go into lockdown in 5 days.
    The other three eggs have started veining!

Edit: Just checked the eggs again, they are very dark. The air cell is about 1/4 of the egg. How much longer do you think we have, all you hatching experts? I honestly can't remember when we started incubating. I've only kept track of the last three eggs for some reason.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by