First standard duck egg!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jkcove08, Feb 15, 2008.

1. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I finally got my first standard duck egg!!! I have a mallard colored hen and a black swedish drake. The funny thing is I just got 15 duck eggs for free from a member on the other board and 2 more duck eggs from a charity auction that I won from there too... I figure I will collect for a couple weeks and then set them. I set 21 goose eggs last year and they were layed one day at a time. I think only the oldest egg didnt develope. I am going to have more ducklings then I will know what to do with. lol Glad there is a swap at the end of April.. Jenn

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

My ducks just started laying over the past week or so too. I have no idea what I am going to do with all the egss. [​IMG]

3. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Jenn, I don't suppose you have any runners or cresteds in that batch? [​IMG]

Congratzzzz on the win!

4. jkcove08

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I dont think so..lol I am hoping to get 7 regular and 3 creasted cayuga ducklings this spring though... I have my fingers crossed!!! I am going to keep an eye out for them at the swap in april and see what I can do. What kind of creasted do you want? Maybe I can find a couple and bring them to Kankakee in June... Jenn

5. jkcove08

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    What kind of ducks do you have Sara?

6. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Well I really don't want any more drakes. I think I have 3 now (a call, and 2 black east indies) IF one of the EI's IS a drake , I'm hoping he'll breed the swedish crested. Time will tell....

7. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    At what age do most ducks begin to lay?

8. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Now if ya'll just want ti share some of those (fertile) duck eggs, I would be willing to take some off of your hands!! [​IMG]

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:I have a trio of white calls, a pair of pekins, and two cayuga hens. They are all together. The one cayuga and the pekin are the ones that started laying. I could try hatching them cause I know the pekin drake is doing his thing with the ladies, but I have enough ducks on the pond. [​IMG]

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My Pekin lays like clockwork now, hasn't been egg bound in over 2 months! The Runner hen hasn't laid for about a month,,, I don't think she appreciated my stealing the egg that became my baby duck! Either that or she's hiding them...... she is sneaky.
    I'm trying to decide if I want to add any other kinds of ducks to my family, so I'm watching to see what you guys do!
    Kate
    Added: Forgot to mention, Whitey the Pekin started laying at 3 months and Hershey the Runner at 4 months.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by