First Strawberry of the Season! (PIX)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rebbetzin, Feb 19, 2012.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Last evening we were out playing with Spartacus, and I saw something hanging from my Strawberry Wheelbarrow, and it was a perfectly ripe Stawberry!! I knew I had flowers and some little green ones, but this was a real surprise!
    [​IMG]

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Wow, that looks yummy!! I'm jealous!

3. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    I am planning on splitting it with my husband as a garnish on his breakfast plate,
    IF he eer gets out of bed that is!!

Poor guy, he has a 40 hour a week day job, (after 30 years with the same company, they are moving to SC and in Dec. so...this year he will no longer have a day job. Cuz he doesn't want to move.) Then he is taking a Paralegal course, it will take about 2 years to get certified, that takes about 30 hours a week of reading and doing assignments, and there is the congregation, study for sermons, and classes, etc. And he has a business/hobby restoring 1970's vintage audio gear. He is one of two or three guys in the country that does restoration of high end audio gear.

So, when he is having some time to get sleep, I just let him sleep!!

But I am hoping the strawberry tastes as good as it looks!

4. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    That's one beautiful strawberry! Enjoy!

5. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    We finally had breakfast at 1:00pm!!
    Here is my plate
    [​IMG]
    One fresh, over easy egg, hash browned potatoes stuffed with cheddar cheese, and half the strawberry..
    And it was very sweet and nice!

6. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Nice. I can't wait for strawberries to be growing again! Come on Spring!

7. dascountry

dascountry Chillin' With My Peeps

NICE....it'll be awhile for my strawberry patch, it's still under the SNOW! I still have about 20qts in the freezer though. As a matter of fact I made a strawberry/rhubard pie today :p

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I don't know how I missed this post, but YUM! [​IMG]

9. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    You must have a very nice sized berry patch!! My strawberries are confined to a wheelbarrow in partial shade so they can survive the summers here.

Here they are in Nov. of 2009 when I planted them.
    [​IMG]

And here they are this last Sunday.
    [​IMG]

I need to thin them out. I am seriously considering taking some of the baby plants and building up the soil in another area for a "in ground" stawberry patch.. The soil here is so poor it has to be replaced before I can grow anything. Well, except maybe cactus!

10. dascountry

dascountry Chillin' With My Peeps

I have only sand here so the strawberries do wonderful. Can't wait for the nicer weather.......seeing your strawberries makes me want to get started on a garden! We have to bring in more soil first. Haven't put any new in for about 5 years and its mostly sand again :( Those strawberries sure did fill that wheelbarrow out nicely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by