First taste of our efforts

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jtbrown, Dec 4, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I butchered for first time a few months ago, had the help of a wonderful Mennonite woman who taught me her method. I was new at this so every bird went to freezer. I had to personally put a little time between butchering and eating (remember I'm new and my family did not raise animals to eat as I grew up, so I am making baby steps).

The birds were not meat birds but cockerals that got too big for their britches and started after me and the kids (husband too ). They were 6 months old at butcher. I brined it for 6 hours in fridge, then roasted it in the oven. It was great. [​IMG]. I was worried I would have difficulty eating it, but I didn't. Those little guys were well cared for even when they misbehaved. I feel like we made a big step forward tonight for self sufficiency. We can do this!

I will bleed them better when I get meaties, that is just because we don't like dark meat much and they kind of ineffectively let them flop without bleeding enough in my opinion, but these are things that are personal preference. I needed a starting, point and she was wonderfully kind to show me. The breast meat was tasty, more to the tooth (texture) but very tasty! Had to share tanks for reading!

2. Felony

Felony Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Quebec, Canada
    happy for you!! I,m sure i'll be that exited when i eat my first homegrown chicken...but believe me i will also be a bit sad, cause i love my chickens meat birds or not. but hey, i want to eat meat, and if i know how they were raised and they could have a good chicken life, well i'll be happy for sure. and it will taste better i'm sure too!

3. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Glad you enjoyed. I have to waited about 8 more weeks and I am very excited. Of course that is now, 4 days before they arrive, but hey I love hearing that they are tasty. I want tasty birds and I too like to know where my food comes from and be more self-sufficient.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] The entire process gets easier and goes more smoothly. Raise with respect, humanely kill, and enjoy the fruits of your labors.

5. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    I know how you feel about putting a little time between the deed and the skillet. My DW fried them last night and I guess they were just to old of birds because they were very tough. Oh well the dogs got a very delicious treat. They loved it. Live and learn I guess. Great to hear that yours turned out good. Makes me want to do the rest of them soon before they turn tough.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

7. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    oooooh! Right this very minute there's a ten-month old rooster gently simmering on the stove. I hope it turns out well. This is DH's 4th bird to do in, all were extra roosters. This one dressed out at 4.5 pounds.

This is the right way to cook it? I'm working up the nerve to do the chore myself sometime. I'm having some difficulties since I'm the one hand-raising them. What size killing cone should we make for large breeds such as Orphington?

8. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    enjoyin' my chickens :

I know how you feel about putting a little time between the deed and the skillet. My DW fried them last night and I guess they were just to old of birds because they were very tough. Oh well the dogs got a very delicious treat. They loved it. Live and learn I guess. Great to hear that yours turned out good. Makes me want to do the rest of them soon before they turn tough.

any DP bird that's to be eaten.. most 99% of the time- should be crockpot, or some other kind of long slow cooking... These type birds, are simpily too tough to eat.​

9. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:Nicely said!

[ dang, you'd think there'd be a smiley for "huge respect"!]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by