First they hide them, then they hatch them, 2 hens, LONG post

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cherig22, May 7, 2009.

1. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    [​IMG]

OK, I have these two hens with no matching rooster. I put pics here trying to ID them, no one could be positive but a few folks said some kind of dorking.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So anyway, these two were the best at hiding their eggs. Usually found them in the stable or the hayloft. Well, abut a month ago, I finally noticed that only one of the girls was in attendance at any given time. I mentioned this to hubby, so off he goes.... comes back and says 'what is it you call hens that don't want to get off a nest of eggs?' 'Broody hens,' I said. 'Well, you got one. In the hayloft'.

So we figure out when they started setting, and came up with a hatch date around the 5th of May. But.....

In the meantime, I noticed neither one of them was feeding every day, only about once a week. And only one of them at a time. So I told hubby to take some feed and water up to the hayloft. When he came back, he said 'you are not going to believe this. They are BOTH on the nest, side by side. Neither one is big enough to set on the entire nest, so they are sharing the duties.'

He would check on them every few days, and a couple of times more, one would come down. I was getting hay in the stable one day, and I hear squawking, and flapping, and one of the hens comes flying out the access to the loft, flies over me still yelling, and takes off to join the flock.

We checked on Tuesday the 5th, they were still there. Then on the 6th, I had to have emergency hernia surgery. Came home the same day. Had hubby go check, no peeps. [​IMG] Since I figured they had been sitting long enough, I told hubby we would give til Saturday.

Well, just an hour ago, hubby calls me on the cell from the loft, and....

We have peeps! Both hens still setting. So hubby puts bales all around so that the chicks cannot somehow be led to the loft access and have to jump all the way to the ground. We are going to bring the dry ones down tomorrow evening, when the hens are in their sleeping trance, then get more every day til all are down.

We are scrabbling together a separate area for the two hens and chicks, just in case they decide to keep them a while.

I know this was long, but there was really no way to keep it understandable.

Possible daddys are Blue Polish, Black Polish, Welsummer, and Cuckoo Marans. From what I remember before the Polish were re-homed, they are the most likely candidates, small than the other two roos.

So, when they get down where my camera with no flash can be used, I will have pics of the new chicks on the block! Thank you for reading, lol.

Cheri

2. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    how fun!

can't wait for the pics.

3. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    My chicken looks just like them? I think mines a Phoenix though!

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Those are lovely hens, sort of sleek-looking. Maybe sleek's not a very good word, I'm trying to say they look very trim and tidy.

I have no idea what they are in any case, but good luck with your chicklets.

Edited to add: And a quick recovery from your surgery!

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. cherig22

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    [​IMG] So what else could go wrong?

We had tornado warnings, high winds, and the power got knocked out early this morning. So the first thing i do is run throw a heavy towel over the incubator.

hubby got home, took his dad to the bank, came back, and hooked up the generator so i could hook the bator back up. And my computer, lol. The temp was at 90 degrees when i hooked it back up, so I think it will be OK.

But the babies have to stay in the loft with their two mommies til I get power for a heat lamp. Generator can only power so much!

So, until tomorrow, goodnight Debiraymond, where ever you are.....

[​IMG]

Cheri

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I'm thinking we could all start ending our posts like that....[​IMG]

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Ummm... why can't you just leave the chicks with the moms? Even if they are in the loft, just make sure there is food and water up there.

8. cherig22

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Quote:It's a loft. Unless they stay up there, pooping in the horse hay for three months, how are they going to get down? [​IMG]

I really don't want to go out there and see a bunch of dead chicks from trying to jump down. [​IMG]

So, like I said before, they are going to move in to their own coop, mamas and babies together.

Plus, if they stay up there, I can't go see them. Surgery and all. Can't clamber up there the way hubby does, lol.

So, anyway, it is 3 am, and my generator is running for the fridge and freezers, the bator, and this puter just cause I woke up in the middle of the night......

Cheri

9. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    At even younger than 5 weeks, mine were roosting in the rafters. If they are flying chickens, they will survive, and you needn't worry about them. But I understand about pooping on the horses hay. I have to deal with that everyday.

10. cherig22

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Quote:I may have to re think this..... but I don't know if I can wait 5 weeks to see them, lol. Got to get over the surgery, can't climb, plus I am impatient!!! [​IMG]

Cheri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by