First time, advice?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckers&quackers, Sep 4, 2008.

1. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    I was able to borrow an incubator so I am very excited about trying to hatch some eggs, but I am also worried that I will mess things up.
    I am planning to try to hatch some duck eggs, any advice for a first timer?

Thanks!!

2. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    The best advice I could give you is to type in the words "hatching baby chicks" or something to that effect and follow the directions to the letter if you do not have the ones that came with the incubator. Works every time..lol!!

3. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I am a first-timer in trying to hatch in an bator too, but i have studied the temp./humidity and stuff about eggs.
    First of all, congrats on getting an opportunity to hatch some eggs in a bator! [​IMG] I haven't done it before, but lots of people say it's a very exciting thing to do, and it's interesting! [​IMG]

Here are some simple things to know about hatching eggs:

You MUST keep them warm(no lower temp. than 60 degrees F. but it's ok if temp. goes down to like 50 for a bit. But this can delay hatching!) The right temp. is around 80-101 degrees F. and to tell the degrees, you can buy a temp. gauge.

You MUST have air vents in the bator; if you don't then the eggs will suffocate!

You MUST keep humidity up! You need the humidity up to at least 30%. You can buy a humidity gauge for about $10.00.

http://www.duckhealth.com/hatcduck.html here is a website that explains lots about duck eggs and chicks.

Duck eggs take about 20-30 something days to hatch. i am not sure because I only know mostly about chicken eggs(they take 21+ days to hatch)

I hope you have a successful hatch! And I hope this helps you a lot! [​IMG]

Good luck and happy duck egg hatching!!!! [​IMG]

4. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    80 degrees is wayyyy too cold..I keep them at 101 throughout the incubation period. I never bought the fancy hygrometer either..i just make sure the water troughs in the incubator stay filled...especially the last couple days.

I have chicks hatching now as a matter of fact..always a joy to see new babies..and I have been doing it for a long time..lol.!!
    Never get tired of the new faces...lol!!

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Incubator with fan 99.5 temp.
    Incubator without fan 101 temp at the top of the egg.
    Most ducks 28 days to hatch
    Humidity for duck little higher than chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by