first time around

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Carly Avgeris, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Carly Avgeris

Carly Avgeris Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    kane county Illinois
    Hi everyone. My family and I just got our first chickens yesterday. 3 days old. We are brand new at this and pretty much clueless! We've got 5 right now, and we hope they all survive! If anyone has any tips, they are welcome to share. Right now, they're in a box with news paper, shavings, food and water and heat lamp. (In our basement, since it's cold here in Chicago land.) Also found out one is a Cornish, so I am looking to pass her onto someone who would like to raise a meat bird.
    Myself, my husband, and two small boys are excited to see how this pans out!!!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Congratulations! It's always so exciting getting those first chickens. Definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your new flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock, would love to see photos of your babies. Yes, the weather is bad and supposed to drop lower - eek!!

1 person likes this.
  4. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  6. Carly Avgeris

Jan 28, 2015
    kane county Illinois
    Would anyone be able to tell me how long the chicks need to live in my basement before they can be out in a coop? obviously it will be insulated and have a heat lamp, but I had heard not until it is 70 degrees out, and then was told after 16 weeks?

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! They should be OK at 8 weeks in the winter when they are pretty much fully feathered, just acclimate them gradually by lowering the temps every week. They should not need a heat lamp in the coop at that point, unless the weather is really really cold.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

They need to be fully feathered for sure. I would wait until 10 weeks if possible since it is winter.

9. Carly Avgeris

Jan 28, 2015
    kane county Illinois
    I am having hard time figuring out how to post in forums. I've got a question about feed. I can't post in any forums though. Help!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by