first time at chicken raising. any help app.for newbies to this adventure. I'm sooo excited

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by slakebuster, May 7, 2016.

1. slakebuster

slakebuster Out Of The Brooder

a newbie. just got my chicken cop from my son for mothers day. going to put it together today i HOPE. just don't know the best breeds to start with.

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Welcome to BYC! We love our Buff Orpingtons, so I would suggest those for you! Feel free to ask any questions!

1 person likes this.
  3. slakebuster

BTW I live in Charleston, SC so it does get hit n humid here but I have lots atrees to put the coop under.

4. slakebuster

I live in Charleston SC so it does get a bit hot n humid here. will I need a fan to keep them cool?

5. magicstorm

magicstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Lakeland,Fl
    Look on the breeds page. It depends what u are keeping them for. Looks and pets, eggs, breeding? Do u want different color eggs? How much room u have, and how many do u plan on? Bantam or large fowl

6. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    You could have a fan, but it is not something you have to get. As long have you have trees and areas for them to lay down in the grass/dirt, then that's fine. :)

7. slakebuster

Ok I've gotten my coop or together and a coat of Thompson's water seal on it. Tomorrow a friend's is giving me some chicks her daughter bought and decided she didn't want them.. She's giving me food,pine shavings, chicken wire I have a heart light. Now... What do I do??? I don't have a brooder but thought I'd just use a Rubbermaid tote cys they're a few mths old already.. I'm new n really Jane no clue but so willing to learn what's next. Any help is appreciated even someone to mentor me that I can go to for questions.. Anyone interested in doing this with me???

8. magicstorm

magicstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Lakeland,Fl

Hi welcome to BYC. you will love it here everyone here is very helpful. I am new to chickens too. people on this site will answer any questions you have and someone will have the answer to almost anything. one important question is are the chickens a few months old or a few weeks old this will change how you care for them dramatically

9. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Don't stress, we're all here to help! It's okay that you don't have a brooder, a plastic/metal tub will work. Fill the tub with shavings and place the heat lamp at one side of the tub. Make sure the chicks have a corner where that can get away from the heat if they are too hot and a corner that has the heat lamp where they can stay warm. If the chicks appear to be too hot under the heat lamp or are all huddling in the non-heat lamp corner (when doing these things it means the chicks are too hot) just raise the heat lamp a little bit. This will cast less heat on the chicks making them just the right temperature.
    Depending on exactly how old the chicks are, you might have to place chicken wire over the tub to ensure none of them fly out.
    Make sure that the chicks always have fresh water and food. Since the chicks will be already be stressed moving to a new place, I suggest feeding them the same food that your friend has given you. In a week or so you can gradually change the food to whatever you want to feed the chicks or just keep them on the food your friend was feeding them.
    Remember it is important to clean their tub often, (every other day will work) and put in new shavings. It is also important to observe the chicks in order to recognize if any are sick or not feeling well.
    Depending on exact age though, the chicks might be able to move into the coop. Knowing the exact age will help, so if you know it would be helpful to know. :)
    I hope this has helped! I'm also willing to answer any questions that I'm sure I know the answer too! :) And two quick questions: Do you know what breed/breeds the chicks are? And how many will you be getting?
    henny1129

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  10. slakebuster

I don't know the breeds and she don't know if they're make our female.. Getting 2 chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by