First time bought chickens, A little help please =)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kalim1993, Jun 28, 2010.

1. kalim1993

kalim1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Uk, Lancashire, Preston
    Hi, everyone, this is the first time I've ever had chickens. Im 17 years old and my dad bought 2 from a farm in easter holidays. The lady at the shop said they are both females, but im not to sure.
    Can any help me tell if they are females or males, Also These are Isa brown?

If you need anymore picture just let me know
    Thanks guys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Your girls look just like my Red Sexlinks, from doing a bit of reading it seems like an ISA Brown is the exact same thing (I'm a newbie too though)... If that's what you have, you've definitely got two girls because the males would have a lot more white.

How old are your chickens in the second picture, and was it taken at the same time as the first? It looks like the chicken in the foreground has a bit more comb/wattle development but hard to tell for sure.

3. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    the on in the back of the last pic looks like a sexlink hen, the front im not sure, could be a roo but if they are different ages anything is possible.

4. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    They both look like girls to me. The Ducks are cute. Are they laying eggs yet?

5. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    They are definitely Red Stars (a.k.a. Red Sex-Links). I love the way their neck feathers are. My friend has two that look just like yours. [​IMG]

6. kalim1993

Jun 28, 2010
    Uk, Lancashire, Preston
    Thanks guys for the replys, when I bought them in April the lady at the shop said they where a month old, here is a pic of them then:
    [​IMG]

Also no They are not laying any eggs yet, Im a little worried,
    Also yes the second picture was taken more recently,

7. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    How old are they? Have checked your yard for any hidden nests maybe?

8. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    There sex links and they are both females, sexlink males are white!

9. kalim1993

Jun 28, 2010
    Uk, Lancashire, Preston
    There just under 4 months now, and no I cant seem to find anything in the garden, I try sit out side all day to watch what they do, All they do is walk about have a drink off water, sit down clean them selfs and eat a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by