First time broody and putting babies under her

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
I have a first time broody buff orpington,she went broody today and I have 11 baby buffs that are three days old.I took the eggs from her as I have no rooster now and put golf balls under her,I thought I would wait a couple days and see if she stays broody then try putting a couple chicks under her at night and if she makes out ok with them then put the rest under her.I have done this before with great success,but neven under one that has only been broody a couple days,has anyone done this before?I was told that a hen has no clock so it makes no difference how long or short she has been broody.

I haven't tried it with one that has been broody that short a time. The other potential problem is that the chicks are not getting any younger. Three days old should be OK but you are quickly running out of your window of opportunity because of them getting older.

If I were going to try, I'd try sooner rather than later because of the age of the chicks. Maybe just risk two or three and see what happens. If she accepts them, then give her the rest. But I have not done it with a hen that has been broody that short a time, so I really don't have the experience you are looking for. Good luck!

Took two out last night after dark and put them under her.Went out this morning at 5am and heard no noise or seen nothing,mom looks content,Will check again later

44824_success_8-9-11.jpg
Success,the other nine will go out under her tonight.Can`t hardly believe a 2 day broody would do this

Back
Top Bottom