First time broody cochin - need advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Engteacher, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Our cochin hen is broody for the first time. She wouldn't leave the nest box, so I moved her to a dog kennel with plenty of shavings. After a day, I slipped in 3 tester eggs for her. She rolled them into the corner and sat immediately. I called a friend to get hatching eggs, thinking this was going to be great. I will get those eggs on Thursday. Meanwhile, this morning I go out to feed the chickens. Broody is pacing in the kennel. She has broken one egg and has rolled another egg to the end of the box. All three are cold.

So, do I try to settle her in again? Do I return her to the flock and let her return to her favorite nest box? Is there a way to mimic the nest box experience in the dog kennel? Do I phone a friend to find a 'bator and give up on this girl?

What should I do?

[​IMG]

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I see no problem in putting her back in the coop. How many nest boxes do you have? If the others can lay in other boxes she should be fine. Good luck with your first broody!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't believe them to be broody until they spend two consecutive nights on the nest. I've had several that act broody but don't stick. I don't know how convinced you are that she was actually committed to being broody, but this two consecutive nights is my requirement before I trust one with eggs.

You can let her out and see if she goes back to the nest. You can let her have the eggs there if she shows the right signs. If you do try to move her again, try moving her at night with as little light and commotion as possible and keep the new nest pretty dark for at least a few days. Dark seems to help them settle in, but there is no guarantee.

If it were me, I'd try to get an incubator.

This link may help you. I personally don't get hung up on absolutely having to isolate them. Hens have been hatching chicks with the flock for thousands of years. There are risks both ways but either way can be successful.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

4. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    She was in the same nest box for almost a week. She slept there and wouldn't come off even for BOSS treats. I'll see what I find this afternoon and make a decision then. These eggs aren't expensive, but I'd really like some new chicks with a moma to look out for them.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Any first time broody is subject to flawed performance, in my experience. Some make the best mothers right off the bat, but many just can`t seem to get some of the basics the first go around. I am one of those that has my best experiences with isolated broodies, but like Ridgerunner said, move her at night and stress her as little as possible. The 2 night on the nest rule is also a practice of mine. When I move a broody, I also let her keep her original eggs for 2 nights while she settles in to her new surroundings. Then after the 2 nights settling, I swap to the eggs I want her to hatch, but also doing it in the dark. Many hens are so good they will set tight on rocks, but there are so many variables, why take a chance and not do all you can to insure her success?
    My guess is that she`s done for this round, but you might get lucky. Hope ya do...........Pop

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Well, doesn't hurt to try.

7. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    After moved dozens of broodies succesfully ( following the old rules that are: Hen must been broody for at least 3 days. Move her during the nigth. Confine her for 24 hrs in the actual box, in complete darkness, and put the eggs under her) Pomponia failed. Why was that?. I didn't comply one of the rules. The first one. The first day I noticed she was acting funny I grabed her and put her in the box. When I opened it, 24 hs later she didn't want to come back to her nest.[​IMG].....But now 3 weeks before she is broody again and doing a great job, so far....
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by