First time broody hatching

little buddy

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
Well I just candles 18 eggs and 16 were alive and kicking! I'm in over my head. They are in a nesting box in the coop. I'm pretty sure they are 14 days along. That was another big mistake, not being sure of the date she began to sit on them. I guess I'll have to just keep checking on them. Also some might have been added to the pile a day or two later. Si for being a newbie to this and making so many mistakes I guess I'm luck to have so many viable eggs. I hope my luck continues but I sure am open to any advice from you eggsperts.

Last edited:

Sonya9

Crowing
7 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Georgia
Well I just candles 18 eggs and 16 were alive and kicking! I'm in over my head. They are in a nesting box in the coop. I'm pretty sure they are 14 days along. That was another big mistake, not being sure of the date she began to sit on them. I guess I'll have to just keep checking on them. Also some might have been added to the pile a day or two later. Si for being a newbie to this and making so many mistakes I guess I'm luck to have so many viable eggs. I hope my luck continues but I sure am open to any advice from you eggsperts.

I assume you did mark the eggs early on? So only 2 may have been added?

Is the nesting box penned off? Or can other hens go in there? If other hens have access you need to do something, pen it off OR set up a suitable penned in area for the mama and eggs. The little family needs their own space. Of course if the nesting box is elevated that would be unsuitable for chicks as well, if someone falls out they need to be able to get back in.

Last edited:

Top Bottom