First time broody hen so I gave her a baby ;-)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amandajo, May 1, 2017.

1. amandajo

amandajo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2017
    So. This hen of mine decided awhile ago that she was gonna hatch herself some babies. Problem is we don't have a rooster. So I decided to help her out and grabbed an egg from.my friend who does have a rooster. I basically snagged it right after it was laid and brought it home and put it under my girl. She hasn't laid anymore eggs and hasn't gotten off the nest. We did candle it at 7 days and it's definitely a growing baby in there. Now what should I do as far as it hatching. Just let nature play it's course? I have feed and water by her. She's down in my horse barn in my hay. I even had to buy new bales of hay so as not to disturb her.

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Leave her be, but keep your eye on the situation as it hatches to make sure she knows what to do with it and is caring for it.

3. amandajo

amandajo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2017
    We've tried to leave her be as much as possible. It's crazy how she just decided one day to plant herself on that nest and not get off. A few days before she was super mean to the dogs. Chasing them and going after them. I haven't had a rooster here in over a year. We have some baby roosters now for next year but I wonder what made her get so broody? I mean all the other hens lay eggs and leave them. She's the first to actually sit on a nest.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have some that go constantly broody and others never do. Than a few are like yours where it isn't normal for them, but it suddenly is right for them. It's all controlled by hormones, health, and breeding behind the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by