First time broody hen???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by princetonpeeps, Mar 30, 2012.

1. princetonpeeps

princetonpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Princeton, MN
    We've got a barred rock hen, that is going broody for the first time! The problem is, we let her free range, and she started laying under our shed during the day, not in the nesting box in her coop...??? Every night she makes her way back to the coop by dark.

Is there any way to persuade her to lay in the coop? Besides locking her up in there? My first time with a broody! Super fun, but here in MN don't think there's any way her eggs will hatch outside without her in march/april...

Thanks!

-Josh and Danielle

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If she's sleeping in the coop at night and laying eggs under the shed by day, then she's not broody. She's simply chosen to lay her eggs elsewhere. I have a first time broody and she sits on her eggs constantly unless she comes out to eat, drink, poop and dust bathe, then she's right back on them.

3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Well if you try to move her and her eggs she may abandon them because you interfered. I have a Cochin and a bantam sitting, I tried to move both of them and the eggs because I had an egg eating chicken, both girls got up and wake right back into there original spot and sat on nothing, I once had a rhode island red that decided to sit, her spot was in the tall grass, I couldn't find her and assumed the racoons got her until I stumbled over her boy did she cry, Hahaha anyway I tried to move her, and again same senerio she went right back and sat on nothing, so I gave them there eggs and left them. If shes hidden and comfortable my only suggestion is to leave her.

Actually wait I just re read your post did you say each night shes going back into the coop? In that case I would take a couple of eggs and put them in the nesting box, put her on them, if she knows they are there prehaps you will get lucky and she will stay there, if so then you can move the rest of them. Mine usually don't go back into the coop, once they plant themselves that's it no changing there minds..

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I agree once they sit that's it they are there for the full 21 days.

5. princetonpeeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Princeton, MN
    Hmm, interesting... Not sure then. I know she does spend all her time under the shed during the day. She's in the coop at bed time, and under the shed all other times of the day! LOL!!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  6. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I would be surprised to see a broody Barred Rock. Never knew one to set on a nest for very long at all. It is also my experience that a broody hen cares not on what eggs she sets. I have encourage hens to set on eggs using fake eggs numerous times and then exchanged them for hatching eggs and have never had one stop setting because of it. Once a hen goes broody, she is in for the long haul.

7. princetonpeeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Princeton, MN
    I have some new information for this story of mine... She's moved from under our shed, to under our coop, daily!!! Just checked, and seen where she had made her new outdoor nest. Setting on top of 8 eggs.

Super fun and exciting, but I have no doubt now that she's wanting to be a mama! Again, I have very little faith that they (the eggs) will survive our chilly nights outside.

In the next few days, all our flock will be moved into their new coop. I was thinking of penning them all up for at least a week to get them used to the new house. If I was to move the eggs shes laid to her new nest, in her new coop, do you think she'd get the idea, and nest accordingly?

Love to have a hen hatch some babies! Thanks for all your help! Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

-Josh and Danielle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by