First time broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazy chkn lady, Feb 4, 2013.

1. crazy chkn lady

crazy chkn lady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    Florida
    My hen Omlet is broody for her first time, she is sitting on 4 eggs that are on day 10. I candled them and only one is fertile and developing, should I remove the infertile eggs or leave them and let her keep sitting on all four?

The eggs are from 4 different hens, only one of them is her's.. The fertile egg is a green one from my EE :)

[​IMG]

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd take the infertile eggs out so they aren't accidentally broken or collected after the one chick hatches and she gives up on the rest of them.

Very cute picture of her in the milk crate :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  3. crazy chkn lady

Jul 24, 2012
    Florida
    thank you, I was afraid if I took the other eggs out that she would not stay on the one egg.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If you can take them to candle and she isn't dissuaded, I doubt she's going to be upset over the duds being removed.

5. crazy chkn lady

Jul 24, 2012
    Florida
    I went to check on Omlet and her egg and somehow it had been broken. The feed store here just got in chicks this week so I went and bought one and put it under her lastnight and it worked, she's taking care of it and she's a good momma :)

6. crazy chkn lady

Jul 24, 2012
    Florida
    [​IMG]. Here she is with her baby underneath her :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by