First time broody leaving nest with one egg left to hatch

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChelseysChicken, Dec 18, 2013.

1. ChelseysChicken

ChelseysChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Ok y'all 2 quick questions. 5 eggs 4 hatched and mama has left the nest. #4 hatched fully about 3 hours ago. What about 5? Should I leave it, if so how long? Shes been out of the nest with the other chicks pretty much all day.
    Second; Is she looking okay? Comb and waddles are a bit pale compared to the other girls. I do understand she been wholeheartedly sitting for 23 days now. Just asking for opinions,all are welcome [​IMG]

and appreciated!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The comb and wattles shrivel and pale because they're not producing eggs.

If she's been off the nest all day, it's toast.
    She may know it's not viable. It may not be moving or chirping.
    I'd candle it.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Goodness, theres something in there! :( What should I do with it?? She has been off all day.[​IMG]

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Do you mean that the egg is moving? Chirping? Did you candle it? If you're convinced that there's a live chick in there, and you don't have an incubator, perhaps you could improvise with a warm light bulb and a thermometer with the goal of maintaining 99.5 degrees. the most difficult thing will be to provide the humidity that a hatching egg needs. At least 65%. You might want to do a float test on it. I've never done a float test, but if you google it, you can find out how. Your other option is to do nothing, as PP stated, she left it for a reason. It's entirely up to you, and only you can decide what to do at this point. Warning: There's NO WORSE smell than an exploded rotten egg.

5. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    No, not moving or chirping. Just looks like an 18 daywhen candled. I stuck it back under her.Will take it out tmro if she leave it again. BUT, When she "left" the nest, she didnt go far and didnt wonder around, she just "sat" somewhere else :/ ??? Maybe she was getting away from that egg?? Idk I put it under her she excepted it but.. If she leaves it again I guess Il just take it out.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If she went more than a couple hours off of the egg and the temperature where you are isn't above 90F then it is dead.

A hen won't stay on a nest more than a couple days after chicks start to hatch. She knows they're alive so she knows she has to go off and show them how to eat and drink so at least they will survive.
    Perhaps another hen added the egg after incubation started. I always mark all the eggs under a broody so I can remove volunteers, thus avoiding a staggered hatch which doesn't work with a broody.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Temperature at the end of incubation isn't all that critical. However, if you candle it and don't see any movement, that's not a good sign. And the hen has obviously sensed something is wrong. Has it internally pipped the air sac? Do you see any veins near the air sac? When you roll it, do you see any changes inside? A dead embryo will flop to the shell when you roll the egg in candling. If you tap on the shell, do you hear anything?

8. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Thanks, so many good questions! Im headed out to the coop now to see what today is going to consist of.

A)Twiddling thumbs trying to figure out what to do with the egg or
    B) Celebrating the last hatched

9. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Thanks so much for responding! I love how I learn SO MUCH with every question!

10. ChelseysChicken

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Looks like it A again today. :/

Just candled again it I almost certain I saw like a pulsating heartbeat..... With that said I have options
    A)lol, Leave the egg under hen who for some reason is not walking around
    B) put it on a heating pad turn and mist every so often...
    C) TOSS IT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by