First Time Broody Silkie *I am new to this*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tnthomas29, Oct 9, 2014.

1. tnthomas29

tnthomas29 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2014
    Hi everyone....I need suggestions. Along with the rest of our standard size birds, my girls have 2 silkies and we have a rooster. One of them was laying on her egg the and would not let me have it, so I thought okay I will just get it later when she gets up. I didn't end up getting it that night but did when I went out and opened the coop in the morning and she got up and went out with the others. I could tell she had been on it most of the night because it was nice and warm. We discussed possibly doing chicks in the Spring. I feel like a egg napper...:eek:( she was so depressed, mad, yesterday seemed like she was looking for the egg. She went back in the nesting box and laid down. She has really seemed depressed ever since. So, I go out this morning and the other silkie was in the nesting box laying on an egg, but had no problem getting up and going right out. I picked up the other one and she just didn't seem to have much interest in my holding her so I put her down and she went and got in there and laid on the egg, which last I knew she still is. I went out earlier and she had actually stolen some of the other eggs that had been laid by the standard hens (would not be fertile) so I took those out. So, now what should I do....Anyone just have a chicken have one egg that they lay on to hatch, or do I need to get more fertile eggs for her?

Suggestions please. Thanks so much!

2. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

First of all you need to ask yourself a few things:

#1 Do I really want/need more chickens.
    #2 Is there somewhere that I know of to get fertile eggs of the breeds I may want?
    #3 Do I have enough space and time to give them?

If the answer is yes then I would go for it because it is really fun to watch the broodys raise their babies. It is also very exciting to see new life when they hatch. I love it and wish I could have a lot more but I am getting close to 40 and everyone thinks I am CRAZY![​IMG]
    Good luck
    Marie

3. tnthomas29

Mar 20, 2014
    Thanks so much for your suggestions. This may are me seem like a dummy but do they become broody only at certain times? I have not done that much research yet on that part. The kids would love it. We did raise our chick's from a day old. Of cours, they were in the house and garage. One of the breeds (Pekin bantam) I would like is hard to find. I would have to order right? I would have to have them soon? We currently only have 14 standard and the 3 silkies.

4. 16 paws

Yes they become broody only when nature tells them to. But on the other hand silkies are known to go broody ALOT. You would have time to order the eggs, she will stay broody if she is serious. I would take the egg away and give her a golf ball or fake wooden eggs, they sell them where I work which is at Michaels craft store if there is one around you. When your eggs arrive you just set them under her and 21 days later she will hatch them.
    You can have time to research other things like if you need to separate her from the others, which is what I recommend. Sometimes things get messed up if you dont, such as broken and missing eggs. So if you are going to pay for the eggs you want to give them the very best odds of hatching out.
    The kids will love the experience....
    marie

5. tnthomas29

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm concerned because she seems like she doesn't feel good or something....like PMS...lol I have not seen her eat or drink. I put food in the nesting box a little bit ago being careful not to get pecked to death...lol How many eggs would you think for a silkies to be (moody, oh I mean broody? Lol my youngest daughter went out a little bit ago and she had moved the egg in the middle of the floor and it had gotten a little cold. My guess is she was trying to take it with her over to the water and food.

6. 16 paws

The broodies will only eat once or twice a day. I hardly ever saw mine eat. I would go with seven eggs. That way she can be sure to cover them good. I have never heard of them taking the eggs out of the nest. Sometimes they will throw out an egg that is bad but I dont think she would take it with her to eat.
    Marie

7. tnthomas29

Mar 20, 2014
    I was just guessing...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by