Usauk11

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2018
Can anyone give me any insight on candling? I have researched it and I feel like only the middle egg is where it is meant to be but I don't want to make a mistake. These are taken on day 14/15 all eggs were placed at the same time. The first egg is a blue shell and its harder to see into, the other two are brown. Is there something viable in egg 1 or 3? Thank you!
sadsd.jpg

One definitely does not look good, two definitely does. Three is hard to say, I don't see anything but I don't feel confident with the lighting in your picture.
The one sign of hope in one is the nice crisp air cell- they do decay if there's no development or the embryo dies. But idk that that's a guarantee.

As long as you don't smell rotten egg, there's no harm in continuing to incubate an egg you're unsure of.

With egg number 1, the air cell is very distinct, but I see no veining-quite possibly because of the shell. I would say it is alive. Number 2 you already pegged as alive-and it definitely is. Egg number 3, does not give a good view of the air cell and no veins are visible. If the border between air cell and chick is no longer distinct and clearly defined like the other two, it has died.

Thank you. Unfortunately went out to the coop and found that the one for sure egg had been crushed with chick inside alive but it didnt make it. Now I have to figure out what to do if none of the other eggs hatch. Not a great day to be a chicken mom :(

I believe there's a good chance that egg number one is alive. When hens have so few eggs and are large birds their eggs often get crushed; especially if they have externally pipped. To prevent this give the hen some dummy eggs along with the real eggs so she has at least 8-10 eggs to brood. I would urge you to still do this with egg number 1.

Should nothing hatch and you want the hen to raise chicks you have two choices. If the hen is in great shape a new clutch of eggs can be given to her (this is not a recommended option as it is hard on hens to brood overly long). Secondly, a few newly hatched chicks could be given to the hen to foster.

For the hen's sake I really hope it is alive. I don't want chicks but I spent a good week or two trying to break her of being broody to no luck so I gave in and she really wants babies so breaks my heart when the poor thing died only 4 days shy of hatch day. I only have 2 fake eggs so I put those in with some easter eggs. Fingers crossed having the extra things to sit on helps.

If nothing hatches I dont think it would be great for her to go another three weeks as its already been about 5 between this hatch and me attempting to break her of being broody. I have no idea where to get chicks young enough for her to accept but I may have to figure it out if this doesnt work.

Okay so today is day 22... and no chicks. Here are the 3 eggs left... any look promising? (two are blue shelled one brown)

Last edited:
Brown shelled front and back

Attachments

• IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    372.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom