First time bumblefoot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by R-CHARLEBOIS, Feb 10, 2019.

1. R-CHARLEBOIS

R-CHARLEBOIS Hatching

Feb 10, 2019
    Hey, I need some advise on bumblefoot.
    Recently found one of my hens with swollen feet. I read lots about it and I have completed the surgery on both feet. The one foot I was able to get a large kernel out like your suppose to find. The hole it left and bottom of the foot has healed great, BUT there is still A lot of swelling. It has been a week since surgery and I have soaked her feet in Epsom salt water for 30minutes, 3 times since surgery but the swelling still has not gone down. What should I do?

Second questionis the other foot had the same black scab but once opened I could not find a kernel it just bled a lot more then the other. So I decided to just disinfect and wrap. But the scab has come back.. what do I do?

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @R-CHARLEBOIS :frow Welcome To BYC!

Can you post some photos of the bottoms of the feet too?
    You may have to re-do the surgery or you can try using Tricide Neo to see if that helps.

How long ago did you perform surgery? Did you wrap the feet and keep her on clean dry bedding for a few days?

3. Carajean

Carajean In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2019
    Can anyone tell me if this is bumblefoot on my duck?

Attached Files:

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  5. sunflowermama

sunflowermama Hatching

Apr 20, 2017
    When I treated my favorite hen for bumblefoot a few months ago, it took quite a long time for the swelling to go down after I performed surgery. I kept her foot wrapped and cleaned/rewrapped it every couple of days for at least two weeks. It’s important to keep dirt and bacteria out while it is healing. Soak a small pad bandage in Vetricyn or iodine and secure it to the wound this way: Cut a stretchy self-adhering (like those used to wrap horses’ legs) bandage lengthwise into quarters so it’s thin enough to wrap around and between each of the toes and up the leg. After a couple weeks of this, I took my hen to the vet to make sure I was doing everything right. She assured me I was...it just takes awhile for the swelling to recede. At that point she said I could take off the bandages, and I did—hesitantly! But my girl is fine and giving me a huge egg almost every day several months later. Hope this helps!

6. sunflowermama

sunflowermama Hatching

Apr 20, 2017

7. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    :caf

8. Carajean

Carajean In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2019
    Wyorp Rock likes this.