First time candler -- very unconfident about judging

iheartchkns

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
I just candled for the first time tonight, and I'm uncertain about 5 eggs. They are dark in the top half and clear at the bottom. Darkness seems to go around the egg in a straight horizontal line. So, I don't think these eggs have life in them, but I'm not sure. I saw one egg with the chick actually moving around in it.

I just don't know. Does this sound good or bad? Hate to make a mistake and either have bad eggs explode on my good ones or throw away perfectly good eggs.

I've looked at candling pictures on the internet and none look like this. I am also candling brown eggs, which doesn't help.

Please help, if you can.

Btw, the egg that had a chick moving in it did not fit the description of the eggs I am unsure about. It really looked like something was in it. These that are dark up top and light at the bottom don't seem to be good to my inexperienced eye.

What day are you at trying to candle? I only candle from the top down into the egg, that's the big end. Turn off all the lights in the house or room. If you question an eggs growth mark it with a ? mark and candle again at day 10 or 14, by then you should know if they are growing or not.

8th day, and I put the small end into the whole where my light source is, so am candling with small end closest to light source.

If you are a novice candler, just observe and do not judge..

there is no harm in letting the eggs go on as long as they are not cracked.. You will know if they are cracked because they will seep. they will be the first to stink and you do not need a candler to find them.. just use your nose.. There wil be no doubt.. If you do not smell anything, you are fine..

Thanks for the quick replies! I had the eggs out of the incubator for a little while (less than 1 hour) because I thought they were probably not good, but put them back with "?" marks on them. Hopefully, if they are good they will continue to grow.

I appreciate your help! I will just do the sniff test every other day.

One egg I definitely threw out, because I saw what looked like a clear blood ring, even to me.

Boy, this is tough work! Very emotional to have little ones' lives in your hands, even if they aren't humans.

I have a follow-up. It is about day 15 for my eggs and I candled them again tonight. All of the eggs I put a question mark on per your advice are almost COMPLETELY DARK inside!! Out of the 12 eggs I left in the bator after candling on day 8, 8 are dark inside and looking like they will start hatching in a few days.

THANK YOU again for your good advice, especially to keep the eggs that I wasn't sure about. Turns out they look like they are full of baby chicks. I had been opening the bator every couple days to make sure no bad odors and never smelled anything. I think the 4 eggs I threw out tonight weren't even fertile. They were nearly completely clear inside.

Now, I have to get my brooder ready. This has been like one big science experiment. It has been rewarding sharing it with my 8 year old son, too. He is getting and extra education outside of school.

Back
Top Bottom