First time candling eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crj, Dec 21, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Last night I found a way to candle my duck eggs. How totally cool that is....... LOL! [​IMG] I have never checked my chicken eggs because they are all brown and figured I would never be able to see anything. Since my duck eggs are in the incubator I decided I wanted to see how they were doing. I have 12 duck eggs and 2 looked to be lifeless. [​IMG] Definitely got rid of one but wasn't sure of the other so I'll wait on that a bit. I have 18 days to go. [​IMG] This is my first time incubating duck eggs. [​IMG]

2. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

I also need to learn about this subject bump

3. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
  4. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    These are two sites I looked at last night. They helped quite a bit.

http://www.poultryconnection.com/quackers/mycandlepix/candle.html

http://www.metzerfarms.com/Candling.cfm

I took a plastic cup and cut a hole in the bottom for an egg to sit over. Large enough for the egg to be on it's side. I took an LED flashlight and stuck it up through the bottom and I could see what was happening in the egg. You have to be in a dark room in order to see anything. Next time I will use the toilet paper tube. It might be easier even if there is tp on it........ lol. I didn't think of that. Anyway, the plastic cup worked fine. Talk about low tech. You gotta love it!!!! [​IMG]

5. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Yesterday I candled the egg I wasn't sure about. Sure enough the egg was no good so I tossed it. I figure 2 out of 12 isn't too bad. I'm hoping all 10 duck eggs will hatch. It's a wait and see for now.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I built this candler into my Homemade incubator, it works great because I can just pull the egg out candle it real quick and put it right back in.
    AL

[​IMG]

7. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    What day would you say that it is visually the clearest whether or not you have a viable egg or not? From all of the pictures I've looked at, it seems as though day 7 it is most obvious. I will be hatching my first eggs this spring, and want to know what day would be a first good day to candle and begin weeding out the baddies...?

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I find day 10 works for me, there is realy no questions about viability at that 10 day stage.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by