1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time caponizer, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Statix653, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Statix653

Statix653 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    I got 9 partridge rock packaging peanuts with my order from Ideal Poultry a few weeks ago and I cant very well keep them as roos, so I have decided that that they will be my first attempts at caponization. If anyone has any tips, Pics or just plain old experience to share with me I would be very appreciative. I've done all the research there is to be done on google and I have learned a great deal but I don't want to put the chicks through any more suffering than I have to. Nay sayers need not respond, its going to happen and these days trial and error are about the only way you can learn.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Look in the sticky in the top of this section. There's one on caponization. There are also some threads here in the meat section about it. You mentioned google, but have you searched here?

3. Statix653

Feb 26, 2011
    I have read some posts that showed up on the google search but I haven't actively looked in the site, thanks.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Here are some links to topics that should help you get started:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=210041

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=435504

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=428186

I learned how to do this, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. But I'm not going to do any more until I can get some better tools for the job, better spreaders, forceps, and especially something to help me see inside the cavity better, some kind of light & magnifier. Or a younger, sharper-eyed assistant!

The earlier you can do this the better, but the problem for me is that the younger the bird, the smaller their testicles, and thus, more difficult to find & grab to remove. But if you wait until they're older and their parts are bigger/easier to find, then the effect of the caponization isn't as great. I have young birds that I caponized at 10 weeks, their testicles were still small (bean-sized) and I'm not seeing much difference in their size or behavior.

I know that other folks have had much greater success, so I hope that you will too!

5. Statix653

Feb 26, 2011
    thanks for the good wishes! I asked my local feed guy if he knew anything about it and he looked at me like i grew a second head!

6. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Yeah, I get that reaction a lot. You get used to it. But you will also hear a lot of people say that they are interested in learning how to do it.

I did 20 surgeries and have 12 that I am pretty sure are successful. 7 of them I could not find the second testicle and only one died and it was the day after the surgery.

Make sure you have a really bright headlamp to see inside the cavity and withhold feed for at least 12 hours so you can more easily root around inside the body. Also, use something blunt to move the guts out of the way until you can see the whole testicle. There is a blood vessel in that area that you can easily nick and the bird will bleed out pretty quickly if you do. It took about 10 times before I got comfortable with the procedure, and to be honest I still have a lot of practice needed. I have some packing peanuts that will be the next batch.

7. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Good luck! [​IMG]

I asked for info on another forum and just about got my head chopped off so it's nice to find one where it can be discussed.

I'm off to read those links now but please keep us posted on how you go.

8. Statix653

Feb 26, 2011
    I will keep everyone posted for sure! I just bought some surgical tools on Ebay to make my own caponizing set (about $20 as opposed to the 60 they want from nasco) so hopefully it will work out. If anyone else has any tips, tricks or ideas such as the blunt instrument for keeping the guts out of the way, they will be welcomed!

9. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Well after some extremely interesting and educational reading I discovered a problem, it's illegal here. [​IMG]

Just when I though I'd solved the crowing during grow out issue, foiled by by the law. *sigh*

Looks like even with anesthetic, done by a Vet it's banned. Guess the broiler companies don't want competition. [​IMG]

10. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    It's illegal here too. Just wondering though, if you are solely doing it in your own backyard for your own consumption, how are "they" going to find out about it? Not that I am advocating illegal activities you understand.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by