first time chick hatch today.

cmorris329

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
I have hatched 8 chicks today. I thought I ruined everything due to Thursday was 18th day to remove eggs from turner and I got dates mixed up. Today was 21 days. I took all eggs off turner last night around 1130 one had already started to pip. It had me worried due to it was 4th at 1100 today to hatch. I noticed about hour ago it is dried in brooder but it looks like it's feathers are stuck to it. It did have clear fluid on it for awhile. Other babies are fluffing out. Should I do anything. Read something about getting wet warm paper towels and wipe it off. I don't want to mess with it if it's not a problem. Not sure what it is. Plus, as I put all chicks in brooder and out of incubator I put beaks to water like I read. They don't seem to be drinking. Do i need to be worried? Or will they just drink when ready. I'm so tired. Went to bed at 330 am and had first chick hatch at 840 am. Still have 9 to go hatch. 8 in brooder from hatching today. This has been an exciting day. I never knew how much fun,stress and proud hatching my first batch of chicks would be. Really learned much today.

Congratulations and welcome! I have never hatched chicks but know someone will help you. Have you looked for the forum about hatching new chicks? Sounds like you are exhausted......but its obvious you're happy
clap.gif

Chicks that may have been "shrink wrapped," will have sticky feathers plastered to their sides. If they are able to move around freely it's not terrible but, they will feel better when their feathers are clean and allowed to fluff. Sometimes the gunk comes off with a damp cloth. It its really bad you may need to use a mild soap with the cloth. At any rate make sure the chick is in warm surroundings and clean off as fast as possible. Then get the hair dryer out and make sure it doesn't get chilled. You may want to put it back near the heat lamp .

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow
drumstick diva has sound advice. She knows her stuff! Good luck with your babies! I hope that one gets a bath and is right as rain again.

Thanks yall.I'm from Kingstree South Carolina and this is great site. What do I need to do to clean/sterilization of Bator after use. should I be worried that chicks are not drinking even after showing water but they are pecking at food.

Chicks that may have been "shrink wrapped,"  will have sticky feathers plastered to their sides.  If they are able to move around freely it's not terrible but, they will feel better when their feathers are clean and allowed to fluff.  Sometimes  the gunk comes off with a damp cloth.  It its really bad you may need to use a mild soap with the cloth.  At any rate make sure the chick is in warm surroundings and clean off as fast as possible.  Then get the hair dryer out and make sure it doesn't get chilled.  You may want to put it back near the heat lamp .

Should I leave it alone or go ahead and try to clean it. It's not in distress so is there a reason it needs to be cleaned?

I'd keep showing the chicks the water. Use your finger like it's a beak and make like soft sounds like a hen. As for the chick. It needs to be cleaned and dried. Because without its fluffy down, to help insulate, it won't be able to retain heat and will get chilled easily.

Back
Top Bottom