First Time Chick Mom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Debi1276, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Debi1276

Debi1276 New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    I am a first time chicken mom. I bought 6 Rhode Island Reds and 6 Barred Rocks. I currently have them all in a 45 gal plastic bin. Is this enough room for them? And should I put in some roosts? The RI seem to be getting feathers more quickly then the BR and flutter all over the place making the water messy.Grrr

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    You can find a small tree branch to put in as a roost. They'll have fun playing on/under it until they start using it.
    You should start looking for a bigger bin now as 45 gal won't be big for long.

3. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    I am expecting a similar number of chicks and I am looking for an appliance box for mine, should last them at least a couple of weeks. You could also try a big box like a watermelon box or something from the grocery store.

4. Debi1276

Debi1276 New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    I bought them all at the same time and one of the Barred Rocks is half the size of the others. She constantly has pasty butt. I see her eating and drinking though. Should I be giving her anything special?

5. Summerford

Summerford Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Smithville Ms
    I have a couple that had the same problems. They will grow out of it. And yes you need to get something bigger and quick. These little things grow quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by