1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first time chick owner! and a mystery chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickeroo2, Feb 3, 2013.

1. chickeroo2

chickeroo2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Biloxi Mississippi
    Hello! I've been lurking around your forums gleaning information about 5 little chicks I picked up on a whim. (I now know I was not properly prepared.. but i'm learning) I picked up 2 silkies and 2 frizzles. The breeder had hatched a mixed bunch of eggs and was unsure of the breed of one little chick I had picked out. She suggested it may be a sultan... but after researching sultans I dont think it is. This chick has 4 toes and google says sultans have 5. I think it may be a pekin?

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]We had a really windy night a couple days ago and it blew the cover off my brooder :( I now have a couple runny noses and sneezes. I added apple cider vinegar to their water and just picked up some vet rx from tractor supply. I also picked up some probiotics and electrolytes... worried!

2. chickeroo2

Feb 3, 2013
    Biloxi Mississippi
    [​IMG]
    All my pics didnt go thru! Here is my mystery chick! I'll post them individually. .. they are so cute!! :)

3. chickeroo2

Feb 3, 2013
    Biloxi Mississippi
    [​IMG]

4. chickeroo2

Feb 3, 2013
    Biloxi Mississippi
    [​IMG]

Little buff silkie chick [​IMG]

5. chickeroo2

Feb 3, 2013
    Biloxi Mississippi
    [​IMG]

Splash silkie? He/she is such a cutie! Any ideas on sexes? I kniw its still too early.. but its fun to guess!

I grew up with game chickens everywhere.. never understood the fascination. They were just... chickens. But these little guys have me addicted! Lol!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Your first chick is a frizzle silkie (frilkie). The mystery chick is a white frizzled Cochin. I can't really tell color on the last chick since the pic is kinda far away, but it looks blue to me :) Cute babies!!!
    Nikki

7. chickeroo2

Feb 3, 2013
    Biloxi Mississippi
    Thank you Nikki!!! It is nice to know what he is.. I will try to get some better pics when it warms up in a few days. They are small and fast :) And mad at me right now.. that vet rx is kinda messy! Lol!

8. ShowGirl12

ShowGirl12 New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    i think the black one is a sizzle (frizzle silkie) sometimes they dont have a 5th toe i have a silkie hen missing the 5th toe.
    [​IMG]

9. chickeroo2

Feb 3, 2013
    Biloxi Mississippi
    ShowGirl12 the black one has 5 toes. I have been researching sizzles frizzles and frilkies for days. Still not sure the difference!! Lol!
    I got some better pics of her today.. her chest feathers have a golden brown edging and her fluffy butt is a bluey silver color. Is she a black?

Also I have some better pics of the one you couldn't see good.. he is a strange color.. anyone know what it is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 4BOWChickens

4BOWChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Chicken Wonderland
    Such pretty chickens!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by