First time chick owner need help/ suggestions.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by no roosters, Mar 10, 2012.

1. no roosters

no roosters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Austin
    I just got my first batch of chicks in the mail 2 days ago and have one that is very lethargic and has labored breathing. It always seems to be laying down when I go check on them. It is one of the 20 packing peanuts I received with my 5 Russian Orloff pullets. Should I cull it or is there a way I can help it? I would rather not cull it, I would rather make it healthy and find a home for it, but I have no idea where to start.

I also have several that have poop building up under the vent and tried to clean it off of some of them, but am having some trouble removing the crusty bits. Is there an easy way to remove it without harming the babies?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thank You

2. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm...not sure about the sick chicky. I would put the little on an electrolyte supplement, and see if he perks up any.

As for the poop build-up, use some baby oil to help clean it up. If it's super tough, and far enough away from the skin to cut out, then do so. But only if you've got a steady hand, very fine scissors, and someone else holding the chick to where it cannot move.

3. hitgsd

hitgsd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sorry you have a sick chick. I use a baby wipe on their butts. Works pretty good. That or paper towel dipped in warm water.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

If you take a little sugar water with a dropper and continue to place little droplets around the small beak and try to get some into the little chick. Sometimes this will bring them back around. Another thing you can do is make there chick starter into a warm mash. Chicks crash when they do not have enough fluid and sometimes when they don't feel well they stop drinking all together. I hope this helps. Also running warm water under the facet will break up the stuck droppings. Just make sure the chick doesn't get to wet.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  5. no roosters

no roosters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Austin
    Well I went out to try the sugar water idea and the little guy had already expired. I guess at least I did not have to cull it myself. All the rest seem to be doing fine, I just need to get the poop off, I will try all of your suggestions. Thank You.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by