1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time chick owner panic!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jessierose, Sep 4, 2009.

1. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Just got 51 chicks in the mail today. Going to raise several for family and friends' flocks and keep several myself.
    I made plastic storage box brooders using reading lamps and 100 watt bulbs.
    It is 90 degrees outside but breezy so I am keeping the boxes draped with a bug towel.
    They have scattered a good bit of water and I don't know how I will keep it dry in there.
    Also, a few look a little extra sleepy.
    Someone tell me that I am not going to hurt these little gals! What can I do for a little extra guarantee for their health?
    I did tons of research but still worry!

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Sounds like you are doing fine to me [​IMG]

Little chicks usually are a bit sleepy. Try putting rocks in your water thing and that might help on the spills....

Good Luck - Sending good vibes your way [​IMG]

3. jessierose

Mar 23, 2009
    Thanks! I had no idea how nervous a new mom I would be! I love them all already!
    They sure are noisy! I have read many places that they peep when they are cold but it is quite toasty in the brooder. Maybe they are just celebrating?!

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Big Breath in......let out slowly. Sounds like you are doing fine so far. Baby chicks fall asleep and look dead. They are ok and will sleep alot at first. I put my water up on a block or upside down bowl. As long as it is not higher than thier back it is ok. This helped a bit with the mess and kept bedding out of the water. Some will say to keep them out of the breeze for a day or 2 anyway. But mine were out with their mom on day 2 in the breeze and all were ok. You are doing good.

[​IMG]

5. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I usually set the waterer on something to raise it up. A brick, DH's 5 lb weight [​IMG]

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    with it being 90 out you may want to watch that they don't overheat. they may seem frail, but they are not too frail. if they are trying to get away from the heat, you may want to raise it up a bit.

congratulations and have fun with it. [​IMG]

7. jessierose

Mar 23, 2009
    I just gave them a stuffed animal on the far end of the brooder awayt from the light to snuggle under and they seem pretty happy with a hiding spot.
    They made short order of the grow gel that came with them to feed on their first day. It said it was enough for 100 chicks first day but it was gone in 2 hours and they are still pecking at their plates. I guess I will put some of the starter feed in now. They won't overeat, will they? That's just us humans, right? [​IMG]
    I did notice a few little bugs in the feed bag. I have never noticed that in my layers' feed. This is okay, right? Just flour bugs, right? Won't the chicks just eat them for extra protein?

8. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Chicks eating bug is fine, probably quite good for them [​IMG] . Some people add a bit of sugar to the water to help them perk up and give them energy, now where are the pics? [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG]

9. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    I'm sure they will be just fine, and if not there is a forum filled with wonderful people who can help you! Keep an eye on the sleepy ones... If the same chicks continue to have that sleepy-eyed look you may want to separate them from the rest of the flock. (This way you can make sure that they are eating, drinking, pooping, etc) Droopy eyelids can sometimes be an indicator of a respiritory problem, but don't worry now! Seriously, they are probably just tired from their journey. Just have fun with your new peeps. It is such a joy watching their antics... the hours just fly by!

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    bugs are fine. sleepiness is NORMAL. they just hatched. hatching is hard work. they mostly sleep and eat and poop for the first four days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by