First time chick raiser - strange predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bdickey, May 13, 2011.

1. bdickey

bdickey Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Being a first time chicken raiser I thought I needed to worry about dogs, cats, hawks, coon, possums, etc... but this was unexpected.

I decided to put my two 3 week old chicks out in the back yard for their first adventure in the grass. The idea was that I just wanted to see how they would react and then bring them right back in. Not 2 seconds after I put them in the grass did a large robin swoop down and start attacking them. One (the unfriendly chick) raced between my feet and looked up at me as if asking for me to pick her up. She never does that. She usually flaps her wings and protests when I come near her. The other chick bolted under the deck steps and waited for me to come get her.

I had no idea I needed to be worried about robins.

2. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi, and welcome [​IMG]

I guess it would a good thing you were out there. I am sure you are now considered the parent. [​IMG]

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    It is nesting time for robins. So I could be thats/he saw the chicks as competition for food and nesting materials.

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Robins are nesting right now! They perceive any larger bird as a threat to their nest, and will attack them. They weren't trying to attack your chickens for food... just driving them away. I bet you can probably find a nest somewhere in the vicinity of the attack!

One year I had my parrots outside with me and I didn't know there was a well camouflaged robin nest in the cedar at my parents house. Suddenly the robins were attacking my parrots, and they certainly weren't trying to predate them. [​IMG] I moved away from the nest location and they calmed down.

5. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Hi Bdickey

[​IMG] from Maine

[​IMG]

6. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC [​IMG] feed it chopped up worms and caterpillars