First Time Chicken Buyer

Kirsty1009

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2018
Hi there, I'm looking into getting chickens, but I need some help before I do that.

First off I need to know how many chickens I should get. I'm hoping to get some Pekin Bantams, in which case, do I need to get more than 2 or 3 and do I need to get a cock as well as hens. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

I also need to know how I should go about purchasing these chickens. Buying online wouldn't be an issue for me, but if it does come to that I'd like to know that I am getting chickens from a reliable source.

Three would be better than two, as they are flock animals ... the more the merrier! :) PROVIDING you have the space for them.

No you don't need a cock bird, the hens will lay eggs just fine, but the eggs will not be fertile, so ... if you want to raise your own chicks, then yes you will need a cock.

I'm not familiar with that breed ...

Lots of places a minumum order amounts of chicks, but there are some places that allow a three chick order ...

Picking up local would be best, where do you live?

Welcome to BYC!

Pekins are great. I love love love them!!

I’d go for three. You don’t need a cockerel but Pekin cockerels are typically nice and docile. Pekins are avid setters, bossy and good in the garden as they don’t tear up grass/plants too much.

I’m making the assumption that you’re British, in which case you can only buy chicks, growers and adults from breeders, there are a number of sites good for finding trusty breeders. From what I have learned, you cannot get pure Pekins in the states; Cochin bantams aren’t Pekins. The Pekin is a true bantam.

Hi Kirsty, welcome to the forum. :frow

It would help to know where you are located, at least roughly. That can help us in so many different ways. Each country has its own rules for what a specific breed should look like. A British Araucana can look totally different than one in the US. Different colors and patterns of different breeds are recognized. We call the same traits or features by different names. Our options for getting birds are different. Which store we might suggest you go to for a certain item can really vary by country, sometimes by region. Climate or even whether you are north or south of the equator can be important knowledge. If you modify your profile to show your general location that info will always be available. You might even find a neighbor that has excellent local knowledge that can really help you, perhaps even a local source for the breed you want.

What are your goals? Why do you want chickens? Pets, to show, eggs, bug patrol, a breeding program, meat, educate your kids, something else or some combination of these? It's hard for me to make too many specific recommendations without some idea of what you want out of them. It should affect your decisions too.

The only reason you need a male is if you want fertile eggs. Everything else is just personal preference. Some people don't want a male anywhere near their flock, others would not want a flock without a male, even if they do not want hatching eggs. My suggestion is to keep as few males as you can and still meet your goals. That's not because you are guaranteed problems with more males, just that problems are more likely. For many people the perfect number of males is zero but I don't know what your goals are.

I agree, the minimum number I'd suggest is three. Chickens are social animals and really like company. If you deal with living animals at some point you will have to deal with a dead animal, hopefully well down the road. If one dies and you had three, the ones left still have a buddy.

Good luck and once again :frow

Back
Top Bottom