We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

First Time Chicken Jailer! (Silkie)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fur-N-Fowl, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Hello everyone, yet another post from myself :frow

So, I've currently got two of my Silkies sitting on 5 eggs each. That's great, I wanted it!

They're separated out of view in brooding hutches.

However, another one of my Silkies decided it was her turn...not on my watch it's not!

Frappe had laid about 15 eggs give or take everyday and yesterday was her last. She started sitting flat as a pancake on her empty nest and honking at me when I lifted her out.

I closed off the coop door today but as soon as I opened it for bedtime...in Frappe hops back into the nest box.

So, out came the dog crate and bricks. She's spending the night and next few days/nights in jail.

This is my first time ever doing Chicken jail.

She's inside the run but the crate wouldn't fit in the coop itself. All the other chickens are nice and cosy in their coop, Frappe is camping out tonight.

She has food and water and I've been kind enough to give her a small piece of flag stone to stand on instead of the bars all night if she wants.

Luckily, the weather for the next few days isn't freezing on a night (around 14 Celsius) and it's not overly windy so she will be alright.

Fingers crossed I've caught her early enough and she snaps out of it soon :fl

Frappe:
    IMG_9899.JPG
    IMG_9900.JPG
    IMG_9901.JPG

2. Elsveta641

Elsveta641 Songster

Sep 30, 2018
    USA
    Be careful. I put a rooster in jail in a dog crate outside the barn. The next something had pulled his head through the bars and ate it. Like you I was only thinking of the weather, I never thought of something wanting to eat a boney little rooster!

ButtonquailGirl14 and Fur-N-Fowl like this.
  3. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Don't worry my coop/run is in an enclosed area and my run is made from strong grade wire mesh ontop of flag paving stones. She's in the middle of the run in the dog crate.

Luckily where I live we don't have predators such as raccoons that are clever enough to open a coop door.

ButtonquailGirl14 and Elsveta641 like this.
  4. Elsveta641

Elsveta641 Songster

Sep 30, 2018
    USA
    Great! I hope she comes out of jail soon, properly reformed and ready to rejoin chicken society:D

Fur-N-Fowl and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  5. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    :gig

Fur-N-Fowl likes this.
  6. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Thankyou, I really hope so too! :D

Elsveta641 and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  7. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    It's almost midnight here so I though I'd go and check up on Frappe.

I got to the run, looked in the dog crate and well...no Frappe :confused:

My face must have been a picture, I was quite literally scratching my head in confusion.

So I looked at the other end of the run, there she is sitting on the log I put in for them.

Nothing's moved or touched the cage, the doors were still tight shut, no gaps in the dog crate...I'm confused.

Either a family member of mine has taken her out without telling me or something spooky is going on :oops:

I've put her back into the crate, I think I need sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: