First time chicken Mama. The big question is about insulation, will my chickens die, or not lay anymore.?

Sep 23, 2020
We've been working on insulating the coop we just built for them this summer and we had a few sheets of insulation laying around. Wee the other day I saw them attacking it. Well, scratching it up, pecking at it, and eating it. I'm worried that the insulation won't pass through their system and they're going to not even start laying eggs (they are all about 21 weeks now, I have 2 chickens laying) or even worse die. I was researching the possibility of impacted crops also, even though I see no sign of that. Anyone else experience this?

We've been working on insulating the coop we just built for them this summer and we had a few sheets of insulation laying around. Wee the other day I saw them attacking it. Well, scratching it up, pecking at it, and eating it. I'm worried that the insulation won't pass through their system and they're going to not even start laying eggs (they are all about 21 weeks now, I have 2 chickens laying) or even worse die. I was researching the possibility of impacted crops also, even though I see no sign of that. Anyone else experience this?
What type of insulation? My hens attacked a full box of polystyrene foam sheets. none died.
:confused:

What type of insulation? My hens attacked a full box of polystyrene foam sheets. none died.
:confused:
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Hello, and welcome to BYC.

You don't specify what kind of insulation you used, but I've had hens eat the foam-type more than several times around here, and never have had any problems. If you feel like being precautious, you could start weighing the ones you think ate the most for the next few days to see if they're losing any weight which would likley indicate some sort of blockage.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Chickens go after everything they think is fun, but don't always know what's good for them! Depending on the type of installation, if it's the styrofoam type, generally it moves through them ok, as long as they didn't consume too much of it. Just keep an eye on them for a few days.

Welcome aboard!

Back
Top Bottom