First Time Chicken Mama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FarmyardMama, Apr 22, 2017.

1. FarmyardMama

FarmyardMama New Egg

Apr 22, 2017
    Tennessee
    Still not sure how it happened but I ended up with 37 pullets yesterday. Went in for UniMilk for our bottle baby goats and some wormer for the horses...and ended up striking a deal to by out some older pullets starting to feather at a 75% discount if we got alllll the older ones...so we got them all....
    We have a herd of dairy goats, pig, cats, dogs, and a herd of horses...but I have never owned chickens before....
    And now I find I have a load of questions....
    One being some of the chicks are showing signs of respiratory infevtion. This WAS disclosed at poi t of sale aND I figured to jist pick up some teramycin and get them cleared up...not realizimg you cant get teramycin OTC anylonger.
    We did find some Duramycin 72-200 (I believe it says but dont have the bag handy) which I was told would work. but the dosinthend administration for chicks isn't clear.
    I've been lurking over this site and found a load of useful information for a first timer and i am hoping someone here can help out with dosing and the best treatmemt for our newest little family members. My 14 montb old son thinks theh are the best things next to his baby goats amd we would loves to get these guys healthy enough to make it into productibe members of our farm...
    Thanks ya'll!

2. forestflock

forestflock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2017
    Hale, Michigan
    I can't share any useful information, but I did want to welcome you and share that my first chickens are scheduled to arrive in a few days! I also have learned so much from this site. Talk to you again sometime.

1 person likes this.
  3. kariegil

kariegil Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    Thanks for the response, I'll keep you researching. Something will turn up.

1 person likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under FarmyardMama [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry to hear about you new flocks issues and that I have no experience in this area. However, if you post your question on the ER Forum, the folks there should be able to assist: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

Depending on what kind of respiratory issue they have, it may be curable or not. If it's viral, then you are never going to cure the problem - merely manage it. In the absence of veterinary diagnosis, its going to be tricky. If it does turn out to be viral, then your flock can be fine (with the occasional bouts of symptoms) but you will have to keep a closed flock (i.e. never being able to give fertile eggs or chickens to others). If you can get a diagnosis, then at least you will know what you are dealing with.

Here's a link that you may find interesting - http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Good luck
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. forestflock

Mar 24, 2017
    Hale, Michigan
    I hope you found useful information. Actually I noticed one of my new chicks has a neck twisted to the right. I was able to go on the emergency diseases site that Teila posted for you and read about wry neck. I ran right out and got vitamins and seleniem and am treating her.

8. FarmyardMama

FarmyardMama New Egg

Apr 22, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thanks all! After a week of fresh outside air and being in their temporary pen ( old water trough wirb heat lights and mesh lid...and old men at work signs at night on top) we have only lost one chick ( at day 3 of ownership) and the remaining 36 seem to be healthy and thriving.
    I am stll amazed they had all yellow fluff juat a bit over a wwek ago and now all are half fluff and half brown feathers! My chickie babies are growing too fast! Lol

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  9. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Glad you could join!

10. forestflock

Mar 24, 2017
    Hale, Michigan
    So happy for you about the health of your chicks! My little chick with the twisted neck is doing so much better. Her neck is still crooked, but much less so, and she is very assertive. Nobody picks on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by