First time Chicken Mom - do Easter Eggers and Orpingtons get along?

FauxintheCoop

Songster
Apr 7, 2021
Hey all!
Very excited to get my first chickens, I started with Quail because I didn't have the space for chickens but now I do!

There's a local NPIP hatchery near me that has both Buff Orpington and Easter Eggers. Orpingtons came HIGHLY recommended so I definitely plan to get those, but the Easter Eggers are really stinkin cute. And small.

Has anyone had much issue raising Orpington and Easter Eggers together? I'm getting them as chicks so they'll grow up together. I can also only have 4 thanks to my city ordinances.

Thank you!

They will all get along fine. You can pretty much mix any breeds together and they will be content.
I've read some breeds can be bullies, and there's a decent size difference between the two from what I understand. Just wanted to be sure neither bird had a dark side, thank you!

Even though my Orpington is the second largest in my flock she is an absolute sweetheart. I have never seen her bully anyone not even my little seabright and porcelain d'uccle hens who are tiny enough to sit in the palm of my hand. She's good with my kids, ducks and Sheltie. I have been so impressed with her I places an order for 7 more Orpintons and might go back to order more. Here's a pic of her sunbathing with my blue copper Maran while my Sheltie stands watch.
PXL_20220326_192628185~3.jpg

Even though my Orpington is the second largest in my flock she is an absolute sweetheart. I have never seen her bully anyone not even my little seabright and porcelain d'uccle hens who are tiny enough to sit in the palm of my hand. She's good with my kids, ducks and Sheltie. I have been so impressed with her I places an order for 7 more Orpintons and might go back to order more. Here's a pic of her sunbathing with my blue copper Maran while my Sheltie stands watch.
View attachment 3385718
What a sweet girl!! Thats exactly what I want for my flock, my quail produce more than enough eggs for me, I want some feathery puppies to keep me company

We’ve had Buff Orpingtons and Easter Eggers in our flock for years and they have always done very well together. You will have a pecking order regardless of the mix of breeds/individuals. Our head hen is one of the Buffs, she is very calm assertive in maintaining the pecking order.

As we’ve added new members over the years, the order is always maintained, so a level of what appears to be bullying is quite normal. If you have birds pulling feathers from other members, drawing blood, or causing injury, then you have a bully that needs to be separated or dealt with.

0950C4DD-D8AF-42D1-9C6B-06F39B655563.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom