first time chicken mom! help their coming today!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dixieschicks, Oct 24, 2007.

1. dixieschicks

dixieschicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2007
    CUSTER PARK ILLINOIS
    Hello Everyone,

I am so nervous and excited at the same time. Three years of "off and on" coop building and we are finally there. I have researched and researched, and tommorow, my first chickens will arrive. I am getting a pair around 6 months old.

Does anyone have any advice about what to do with them after they have had to make an overnite trip in the mail? I am sure they must be a little disoriented.

Any and all advice would be appreciated! I just want to make there transmission smooth.

I also want to thank Ewe Sheep for all her emails. I hope we can meet up someday and do some chicken swapping. Thanks again, Cindy

my thought for today! LIFE, ITS WHAT HAPPENS TO THE BEST OF PLANS!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Give them time to adjust to being in a new place as well as getting over the stress of the shipping. Lots of fresh water. Plenty of free choice food.

Good luck and enjoy your chickens! [​IMG]

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have some advice---GET MORE THAN TWO!!! [​IMG]

Enjoy, youll love it.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Congrats on your chickens! Like MissPrissy said...lots of fresh water...free choice feed....and keep them inside thier coop for at least 2 or 3 days. This way they will know where to go at night! Again, congrats...and enjoy them. Oh, and what are you getting? Breed? We are a nosy bunch here, and LOVE pics!! [​IMG]

5. dixieschicks

dixieschicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2007
    CUSTER PARK ILLINOIS
    Thanks for your quick and wonderful replies! Keep them coming!

I am getting white silkies! I just think they are so beautiful!
    Gotta get a Polish crested or two (cause my hubby is polish) and would love a few cochins and frizzles but after that it will probably be layers! I guess RIR's Buff Orps and Plymouths. I will take any advice on brown egg layers too!

Also, if I wanted to get some Banty's, do you think they could be housed with the standards. My coop is 12 x 10 (AS SOON AS i CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO DOWNLOAD PICS I WILL) and I have 3 free range tractors we made and two smaller outdoor hutches converted from rabbit hutches. Problem is, they all have to go in the coop at night for safety!

Thanks again, Cindy

6. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Bantams and standards don't do well together unless they've been together since hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by