First time chicken mom with a sick hen!

MillieYevick

Chirping
Mar 21, 2023
Griffin Ga
Heyy! My name is Krystin. I’m a first time chicken mom. Literally brand new freshly hatched. It will make a week Sunday, lol. I already have a sick pullet on my hands. I’m usually really good with things like this cause I work in an animal hospital, but I do not have experience with sick chickens! So far we have one sick hen. I noticed tonight when rounding everyone up from free ranging the day that one of my hens had foamy bubbles in her eyes. After taking a closer look so has watery/bubbly eyes, nasal discharge in both nostrils that is clear but there is a spot that is green that looks almost like a crusted boogie, and she is very puffed looking. Her vent is also pink, we have only one hen laying right now and I’m pretty sure it’s her. My question to this is.. does this sound like Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or Coryza? Also how contagious is this to my flock (total of 11) and how do I need to prepare to treat her and possibly the whole flock? I just started putting apple cider vinegar in their water today! Also should I separate her from the flock into the Henspital? I need all the answers, opinions, and help as I have never felt with this before. I also would love to know the odds of either one of those diseases/infections ending in succumb cause I’m a nervous wreck for my girl out there! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9493.jpeg
    IMG_9493.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9495.jpeg
    IMG_9495.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 5
Is there anything I can do to help her get over this? I was thinking to definitely start saline spray today, but I think I’m dealing more with Coryza which needs antibiotics. But I don’t know what kind of antibiotics.🙁
Do you have a bird vet near you? If you do try and give them a call and they can tell you what kind of antibiotics. I’m not that good with knowing what type of illness’s there are but I have had experience with sick hens and heat, vitamins and relaxing helps a lot😊

Do you have a bird vet near you? If you do try and give them a call and they can tell you what kind of antibiotics. I’m not that good with knowing what type of illness’s there are but I have had experience with sick hens and heat, vitamins and relaxing helps a lot😊
Thank you so much! I will look into vitamins and see what all I need to gather for her in the meantime until I can find a bird vet.🤎

Separate her from the flock first and make sure she eats and drinks😊
bringing her in will keep her warm while you observe her. I'm ready to post something on my sweet Isa brown as well.
scrambled eggs are good to tempt her and you can put any helpful herbs in it.. oregano turmeric garlic.. plus any meds once you isolate what's wrong

Heyy! My name is Krystin. I’m a first time chicken mom. Literally brand new freshly hatched. It will make a week Sunday, lol. I already have a sick pullet on my hands. I’m usually really good with things like this cause I work in an animal hospital, but I do not have experience with sick chickens! So far we have one sick hen. I noticed tonight when rounding everyone up from free ranging the day that one of my hens had foamy bubbles in her eyes. After taking a closer look so has watery/bubbly eyes, nasal discharge in both nostrils that is clear but there is a spot that is green that looks almost like a crusted boogie, and she is very puffed looking. Her vent is also pink, we have only one hen laying right now and I’m pretty sure it’s her. My question to this is.. does this sound like Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or Coryza? Also how contagious is this to my flock (total of 11) and how do I need to prepare to treat her and possibly the whole flock? I just started putting apple cider vinegar in their water today! Also should I separate her from the flock into the Henspital? I need all the answers, opinions, and help as I have never felt with this before. I also would love to know the odds of either one of those diseases/infections ending in succumb cause I’m a nervous wreck for my girl out there! Thanks in advance!
Welcome to BYC. Can you get any antibiotics from the pet hospital?

Back
Top Bottom