First time chicken mom!

careeka22

Songster
Jul 29, 2016
Aylett VA

Hi there! My name is Caitlin and here are my 5 new chicks! We got them 3 weeks ago and they turn 5 weeks Sunday. We got an Easter Egger (pictured the light brown) I'm almost certain he is a rooster. He is bigger than the rest and has red coming in under his chin. Would love to get other's opinions. Either way as long as he is a good boy we are keeping him, his name is Curry and is my favorite.

Then we have our Buff Orpington Elsa which my daughter is cuddling lol. She is a sweetie. A Road Island Red named Anna. And two black ones which I was told one is a sex link but I can't for the life of me remember what she said the other was. I want to say Austrolop? Can you tell me what the brown and black one looks like please?

I'm in King William VA. They are hilarious to watch, especially when one catches a bug.

Also question.. when will they want to go to the top part of the coop? I kept them in the garage to start, them moved them to the top part and blocked it off. Now they are out but don't go up top. I know they can climb the ladder, I've watched them do it. I put food up there. Is it too hot?

Greetings from Kansas, careeka22, and :welcome. Great looking baby chicks. They may not be roosting up high yet as they have not developed their flight feathers (or the confidence to fly yet). One will make the leap and then others will follow. I saw another member from VA just signed onto to BYC. You can perhaps contact other locals in the Virginia thread in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you. Best wishes to you and your flock!

Welcome to BYC and the wonderful world of chickens, Caitlin!

To get more answers, you should post your questions in the What Breed or Gender is this? forum. Curry does have a cockerel look about him, though it is too young to be certain.

I hope you enjoy your time here. And I must add, your daughter is adorable!

Thank you!! I'll post there, I saw a video that sexed them young by looking for their gullets? (sorry if that is wrong) coming in. All the others are tan and this one is bright red.

Greetings from Kansas, careeka22, and
welcome-byc.gif
. Great looking baby chicks. They may not be roosting up high yet as they have not developed their flight feathers (or the confidence to fly yet). One will make the leap and then others will follow. I saw another member from VA just signed onto to BYC. You can perhaps contact other locals in the Virginia thread in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you. Best wishes to you and your flock!

Thank you! Ahh that makes sense. It's been sooo hot in VA (over 100 everyday) so I figured they would be ok out in the coop part. They seem to be thriving :). They already love catching bugs, I can't wait until they are big enough to free range.

Welcome Caitlin, it is nice to meet you. Your daughter is a doll and looks like she is trying out her "chicken whispering," talent.

Back
Top Bottom