1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time Chicken Mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cometsea, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Cometsea

Cometsea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2015
    Hello, I'm Nancy in California. I am brand new to chicken but I just bought a house in the mountains with land and thought I could try my hand at Chicken Farming. I'm starting with only 6 chicks but we will see where it goes from here.
    I got my brooder built and ready, just waiting until tomorrow to get my chicks. Then I have to figure out how to build my coop. I have found many on line and at my local farm store but nothing seems quite worth the money. So I think my husband and I are going to build one. Wish us luck and, if you are so inclined, keep us in your prayers.

Happy Chickens!
    Nancy

2. NeseO

NeseO Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2014
    North California
    Very nice to meet you. Good luck. We did the same last year:) Bought a house in the Sierras and last year this time had our dog's kennel with a heat lamp set up in our living room. We started with 6 chicks and now have 8 chickens and two roos. It has been an adventure so far. From their first introductions to the outdoors to a bear break in and then their first eggs. Mystery illness to introducing teenage roos. I wish you the best experience. Im sure you won't regret it:)

3. Cometsea

Mar 14, 2015
    Thank you NeseO, it's nice to meet you too. I am looking forward to this experience.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome, Nancy! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock"!

Good luck with your future chicks! What breeds are you getting?

5. Cometsea

Mar 14, 2015
    I did some research on this and I wanted egg layers but I also wanted friendly birds. I picked 3 buff orpingtons and 3 Plymouth rocks. I originally wanted to get Golden Comets as well but I couldn't find anyone in my area with them.

Did I do well?

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

Yes, you did well. [​IMG] Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks tend to be docile, hardy, and productive birds.

7. Cometsea

Mar 14, 2015
    Good I'm glad I picked well. Thanks...
    I get to pick them up tomorrow and I am so excited. They were hatched yesterday or the day before. I have a quick question, I made a nice size brooder for them and I got a starter kit with everything, I hope. But I read somewhere that when they are first put in the brooder you need to not put too much shaving in the bottom or they might get splayed leg. How should I set up the bottom of the brooder for their first couple of days? I bought pine shavings but should I wait on those?

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC Nancy!
    We're glad you decided to join. [​IMG]There is tons of information on here, so I'm sure you'll find answers to all your questions.[​IMG]

Enjoy your flock!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Paper towels work well for the first few days, I put them over newspaper then just put the shavings over that a few days later, or just put the paper towels over the shavings if you already have them in there, they give good footing and the chicks can't eat the shavings... some people also just use regular towels (make sure no loose threads) or drawer liner, or even wire, you don't want to use anything slippery like newspaper as that can cause leg problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by