First time chicken Momma

chasity83

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2015
Ashland, MS
I have another question, how do I tell if my baby chicks are roosters or hens? I asked my daddy and he told me an old wivestail lol! Not sure if he knows or not.

frow.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

frow.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
frow.gif

Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! Depends how old your chicks are really. Once they are fully feathered out and aprox 8 weeks old posting some pics in the what breed gender section of the forum should help you. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
Some breeds take a little longer to decipher if they are male or female.

Wishing you the best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Some breeds are sexable at hatch due to color variations. Others can take as long as 6 weeks or so to tell males from females. You can post pictures in the What Breed or Gender section of the Forum if you have some you are not sure about. Knowing the breed can be very helpful when sexing chicks.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock".

You usually can't tell the gender of chicks at a day old or so. But, when they reach four weeks old or around that, males tend to develop larger, redder combs. Males also tend to feather in slower and have thicker legs. By the time birds are 16 weeks old, roosters will usually have developed saddle feathers (long feathers near the tail) and pointy neck feathers. Females won't get the saddle feathers and will have rounded neck feathers.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

Unless the chicks are sex-linked, the only way to sex them really young is by vent sexing. However, that takes a lot of experience to master. A better way to sex chicks is to wait until they're older (at least 6 weeks), and then try to sex them by their appearance. By that age, cockerels usually have larger combs and wattles and may be crowing.

Back
Top Bottom