First Time Chicken Owner...FUN!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kshaffer, May 21, 2010.

1. kshaffer

kshaffer New Egg

Jul 30, 2009
    Hartford City
    Hi all,

I've been lurking here since Sept 2009, and I finally have my first chicks....I have 36 Buckeye Chicks, they are now 4 and 5 weeks old. They are SO FUN to watch, although I haven't figured out Who Rules The Roost yet. There is one chick that when I feed and talk to them, he/she likes to look me in the eye. They are not afraid of me, and I can pick most of them up. I got them from Crains Run Ranch in Ohio. This picture was taken May 12 when they were 2 and 3 weeks old. I'm planning on breeding them, and I hope some of the hens are broody as I want to raise them the "old-fashioned way" - under the hen. We will be free ranging them on 5 acres, and we are feeding them Purina Flock Raiser with good success. (they eat more than my horses do!)

[​IMG]

2. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    [​IMG]

You have some pretty babies there. There are alot of people who are new to chickens, myself included. Aren't they hysterical? I can sit and watch mine for hours.

3. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG], Congrats on the cute little buggers. Will they have a secure coop to go in at night? I don't want to see them be food for predators.[​IMG]

4. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    [​IMG] Cute babies! This is a great site, welcome! [​IMG]

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Darling Babies -- I had no idea Buckeyes have pale heads when they are little -- don't feather out to be a deep auburn. Aren't they tons of fun. I lurked for a long time too before I got my chicks -- this site provided loads of really helpful information.

Glad you're here and [​IMG]

Jenny

6. kshaffer

kshaffer New Egg

Jul 30, 2009
    Hartford City
    I do worry about Predators...we have lots of Coyotes. My husband made one of our a horse stall secure to my "paranoid" specifications. We have two doors to the outside - a sliding door, and then a Screen Door with two latches top and bottom on the inside of sliding door. We have a sliding door to the inside of the barn also that has two strong latches on either side that are "horse proof". All small holes are covered with wood with oak 2 x 6's up to four foot then it has welded wire to the ceiling on all sides that aren't solid. I HOPE it is secure enough. We have roosts made with a "poop board" underneath, but haven't gotten the nest boxes up yet...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by