First Time Chicken Owner in IL

DyingPhoenix

Songster
May 12, 2016
Dewitt, IL
Hey there everyone! Long-time lurker of the site, here. :) I've always wanted chickens but am finally now able to have them.

I now also understand chicken math lol. Aimed to start out with 6...yeah that didn't work. I have 19 chicks that are about 8 weeks old and staying in their nice new coop.

My flock is mixed. One silkie and one silkie mix, 6 easter eggers, a rir, 2 light brahmas, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 1 gold laced wyandotte, 2 black austrolorps, 2 buff orpingtons and a buff laced polish. They are all very tame. I used to sit with them on the couch in small bunches at a time, rotating who was out. Now they greet me at the coop door and I have scratches all over me from where they jump and climb on me like a jungle gym.

My favorites quickly became the orpingtons, the brahma twins aka 'The Puffs' and one of the EE's. But the first two breeds are definitely the sweetest since day 1. And the worst one is the single Rhode Island red. She's not interested in treats, or anything to do with anything.

Guys..I can't stop buying them.

I'll need to build a new coop before long...help.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Only 19? lol I started off with 4 and stopped at 107! They are addictive critters, aren't they? What saved my rear was being able to sell all the eggs we didn't eat, which helped fund the addiction. You've got some lovely breeds there and they sound like a delightful bunch. I think you need to browse the Coops section here for some large coop plans, if I remember correctly there is a barn or two in there as well
wink.png
Enjoy the site!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. If you want to join your state thread - just put Illinois in the search box and it will pop up. You may find other bycers living near you.

Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have another chicken addict joining our ranks. Seems like you have the same struggle as the rest of us when it comes to chicken maths!

Enjoy your chickens.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom