first-time chicken owner in Oregon

rbancroft

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
I've been interested in raising chickens for some time now. We have four Buff Orpington chicks that are 8 days old. Thanks to generous friends, we have a nice brooder set up for them and my children (ages 5 and 2) are loving our cute chicks! I'm hoping for a positive urban chicken experience.

We've started building our chicken coop that will go in our backyard. I've been clearing out some blackberry bushes and English Ivy in the backyard, and I have a question about that. Will my hens need to have all of the pesky English Ivy out of my yard or will they know not to eat it? I've read that it can be poisonous to chickens, but I've also read that they know what plants to avoid. I live next to an apartment complex that has landscaped with quite a bit of the ivy and it grows under and through my fence into my yard. I can't stand the stuff.

Looking forward to learning all I can about caring for our chickens.

welcome-byc.gif
from INDIANA
big_smile.png

Hello and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Our girls dug up the Ivy (small amount) without eating it, as far as I can tell.

They'll dig up the Blackberries too, if possible but it's one of their favorite berries to eat.

Make yourself at home here and enjoy!!!

Dawn

Hello and greetings. I'm from Oregon, too and just put my first ever chickens in their coop today.

Wish I could help you with the Ivy, but I'm new too and will learn right along with you.

Enjoy this place, it's been a wealth of knowledge for me.

Back
Top Bottom