First Time Chicken Owner, Might I Have a Rooster or 2? *UPDATED*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Plymrocker, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Plymrocker

Plymrocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2014
    Hi Everyone!

I'm new here, but have been reading around for over a year, as I educated myself and planned on getting chickens. We are (very excited) first time chicken owners, and we've been having a blast with them so far. We are in the process of building the coop!

We ordered our 'vent-sexed' 1 day old females from MyPetChicken. At between 2 and 3 weeks old, our Welsummer crowed one morning. And then again, and again. It was pathetic, baby attempts at first, but definitely mimicked a crow. 'She's' gotten too good at it now, though. :/ From then on, we watched her develop a big red comb. <<Sigh.>>

I've read a lot of info both here and at My Pet Chicken, for example, about how not to jump to conclusions too quickly. I've read how some hens crow, and some get bigger combs, so they are no indications. So, I'm asking you to look at our photo of our Welsummer (named Weymouth), and give us your opinion. She is 6 weeks old now, but the photo is at 4 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    Is there really any possibility that that is a female/hen? My Pet Chicken says it's still too early. That hens can have big red combs, and crow.

Now, we are beginning to be concerned, that a second of our 8, is also a rooster. This (below) is our Easter Egger (named Boston). Although she reminds us of a hawk! The little signs that are making us go hmmm, is that she (?) seems to have a (paler) reddish crown, with the 3 rows, and she also has started crowing very similar to the Welsummer. She's also very dominant, along with the Welsummer. So, please take a look at this one as well, and tell me if it looks like a male or female to you? Maybe by the breast color or something?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realize they are very young still, to know for sure. Although they are 2 weeks older than these photos now. I just thought some of you with so much experience, could share your opinions. I'd value your input!
    I love this place. I think you'll be seeing me around here a bit, from now on. ;)

Plymrocker / Laura

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I can't tell in pic #2, but pic #1 is most def. a cockerel. And I've never heard of young pullets crowing - I do have a mature hen who does a modified crow...but she didn't start that until mature, not as a pullet. So if both are crowing at this age, I'd say both are cockerels. And if you're seeing three rows of "peas" on #2's comb, I'd def. say male.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

I think by your description it is a cockerel. (the 2nd one)\

The first one leaves no doubt

"Comb. At this age, pullets will have a pretty non-existent comb, and what they do have will be a fleshy pink. Any red color is male. At this age, three defined rows on a pea comb is going to be male."

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/917307/rules-of-thumb#post_13956616

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

My days of not taking My Pet Chicken seriously are definitely coming to a middle [​IMG].

Your first bird is a cockerel.

Pullets don't crow. It just doesn't happen. Older, dominant hens can crow, or older hens with hormonal issues. This young, the only hormonal issue going on is a normal flow of testosterone in a male bird. Even in older birds, hens crowing is pretty rare. I hate that folks hold that out as hope for young birds.

Pullets do get red combs......right before they start to lay. A red comb is a sign of sexual maturity, no pullet is going to have redness in the comb at this young age.

I'd need a better pic to be positive of gender on the EE--pea combs aren't as in your face as that straight comb--but if it's crowing, it's male.

On your Welsummer, another positive male sign is his coloring. Welsummer males have black breasts, females have salmon/brown breasts.

5. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I'd say both are cockerels. Definitely the first one

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both of them look like cockerels to me. Vent sexing is only about 90-95% accurate, so I guess yours turned out being that 5-10% not accurate.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They both look like males to me as well, especially the first bird.

8. Plymrocker

Aug 21, 2014
    All of your replies have been very helpful.

So based on all you have said, I'm gathering to disregard the crowing business now. The screeches the 2 make, usually early in the morning when they hear my husband get up, are certainly not true cockadoodle-doos. Like a mature rooster makes. They are only one syllables, if that makes any sense to you. lol So, I won't heavily consider the crowing for now.

I'm feeling all the more confident now that I've read your replies, that the first is a roo. As if I wasn't quite sure before! Now just to see what develops with the EE, Boston.

I did get a reply back from My Pet Chicken. It was very informative about sexing, but links and cutting and pasting from info I had already read at their site, trying to figure this all out. I was only inquiring about the Welsummer, and sent the photo attached. Basically, it was telling me that it's entirely too early to tell - that hens can crow, and pullets can have red, big combs. Even bigger than a rooster sometimes. They explained how the saddle feathers are the most sure way to tell, at 3 months of age. We've got a long way to go, as they are only 6 weeks old now.
    I don't think they looked at the photo though!

I may try to get photo of Boston's peacomb (the EE), if I can, and I'll share that in this thread if I do. Right now, disregarding the crowing, I'm going to hold out hope she's a pullet, because I really love her. She's a cool bird.

P.S. That's her as a chick in my avatar. What attitude, huh? lol

9. Plymrocker

Aug 21, 2014
    Alrighty, here is a a closer look at my Easter Egger's peacomb, and breast color. Any better guesses at female or male now?
    *Fixed
    [​IMG]

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Going by the new photos, I'm still pretty sure "she" is a rooster. However, you won't know for sure until he crows!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by