First time chicken owner, one seems injured

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shannon0201, Oct 6, 2016.

1. shannon0201

shannon0201 New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    We got 12 chickens and one rooster a couple weeks ago. They were doing great but yesterday morning one of them will not walk. She seems like she can't hold herself up to walk. She is 1 out of 2 of the smallest ones. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Shannon, and :welcome! Happy you joined us but sorry it was under these circumstances. The best place to post a medical concern is in the link below. Please be as specific as possible....age of bird, if she's been picked on, nature of injury, if you've inspected her and what you've found, additional pictures if they would be helpful. Just want you to get the best advice possible. Here's the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    Best wishes to you and your hurt chicken! :)

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Shannon and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. redsox has given you the best advice and link as to where to post for the best answers.

Fingers crossed!

Best wishes
    CT

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Could it be Mareks paralysis of the legs?

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm far from an expert on such things. The ER experts will likely share their thoughts, which will be more useful to you.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    That is a very ill chicken. Try to do a thorough examination on her, move her to a warm, protected place where you can separate her from the flock and give her some TLC.

please do post under emergencies with as much information that you can and hopefully someone can give you advice.

Hope she will be ok, but in my experience when they are this ill they usually don't pull through [​IMG]

And keep a very close watch on the others, since they are new to you there may be others getting ill.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  7. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Unfortunately that is a pretty classic Marek's splits posture. If she is smaller than the rest, that also suggests Marek's. I have had birds recover quite quickly from such an attack after finding them floundering on the ground like that, but I have also had them deteriorate. Place her somewhere warm and safe and offer her moist food and water and poultry vitamin supplement........scrambled egg and a little tuna is good as she needs extra nutrition to support her immune system.
    You might want to make her a chicken sling or hammock to support her in an upright position. Unfortunately, even if she recovers from this attack, she will most likely suffer another usually more serious one at some future date maybe months later but quality of life can be good in the mean time, if she regains some leg function. Keeping her in view of the other chickens will help to keep her from depression, so if you can make a hammock for her and put her in a cage in the run, that will help, provided it is warm enough. The others will have been exposed to the virus now, so I don't quarantine my Marek's sick birds but that is a personal choice.

Good luck with her and the rest of your flock. If she dies, it might be a good idea to send her body off for a necropsy to confirm what you are dealing with, but I'm pretty confident from seeing that photo that Marek's is the cause.

Best wishes

Barbara

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry about your hen. I hope with special care she has the best possible outcome.[​IMG]

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. I agree with sunflour above.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by