First Time Chicken Owner-Veterinarian

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickensInTempe, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ChickensInTempe

ChickensInTempe New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    In order to follow the rules as much as possible and since I am both new to chicken ownership and to online forums, I will use the template offered:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes! We got three chicks last spring. One Buff Orpington, One Ameraucana and one beautiful brown one (black feathers with brown tips)-she looks like several breeds on this site and I am sorry to say, I can't tell them apart

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Sadly, only two. Last month, my favorite was found dead in her coop. No illness or clinical signs before, we just found her in the morning. I could find no evidence of trauma and she was in good body condition-a mystery...

(3) What breeds do you have?

See above.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I found helpful information on this site while raising my girls as chicks.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I am a veterinary dermatologist and work a lot. This also explains my extreme lack of knowledge of avian medicine! I think we spent about one week discussing mass meat and egg production and 'herd health' topics in veterinary school-very little when it comes to backyard chicken care.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have a wonderful and patient husband who tolerates animal and child hording despite not being an animal person. I have 2 little girls, 4 and 2 years old. Indoor pets include 2 mixed breed elderly dogs and 2 cats (one of which is 3-legged).

2. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    [​IMG] AND [​IMG] from CT
    I like your template welcome post, I did the very same thing, "way back when".
    Could you go back & ask where you got your chickens, what breed the third one is? Or just wait to post a picture --people here will help you figure it out!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Welcome......I have a three legged cat too. [​IMG]

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Graham40

Graham40 New Egg

Sep 17, 2011
    [​IMG] from Manchester:thumbsup:thumbsup

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, ChickensInTempe and [​IMG]. Happy you could join us fellow chicken enthusiasts! Best of luck! [​IMG]

10. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Welcome! Great place, great folks, enjoy your time here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by