First time chicken owner with new chicks - 1 week update

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by owler, Nov 10, 2010.

1. owler

owler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Northen NJ
    I got my first batch of chicks today from McMurray. 15 BR pullets, 2 Ameracauna pullets, 7 RR pullets and 1 RR roo. Got the box home and one of the BR was almost dead and I had to cull. (no fun)

I have two more BR with problems. 1 has splayed legs and I hobbled it with some tape and it is doing well. One more as a leg that it cannot stand on. No visible difference in the size of the joints so I don't think it is swollen. She is getting around but barely. I would not be surprised if it did not make it. I don't know if anyone would have any suggestions about what to do.

I finished my coop just last weekend and am raising in the coop with two brooder lights (very secured) and an 18" brooder guard. I have amost all of the ventilation blocked up to ensure no drafts and a consistent temp. I actually had to turn one of the lamps off this afternoon because it was getting pretty warm in there. I am confident this arrangement will work.

I would love to post pics but my camera was in for repair and is not back yet. My daughter took lots of pics but I have not gotten a hold of the memory card yet.

I plan on keeping the eight RR, 2 ameracauna and three of the BRs. If anyone from Northern NJ wants a few BR pullers let me know.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Hmm I am not sure if the second chick has spraddle leg too or not. Here is a link on it, let me know if this is what you meant by "she can not stand on it" http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html (also has the "bandaid treatment [​IMG] )

If not, and she has no outward signs of anything being wrong with the leg (not swollen, doesn't feel broke, isn't deformed, etc) Then chances are it's an internal problem and something didn't develop right when she was forming in the egg. I have had that happen to a couple chicks before. In that case I would try to give her some plain yogurt or some mashed up (cooked) egg to help her perk up. Also you can call Mcmurray, I believe if she dies right off then they will replace her or refund you.

I hope everything works out!!

3. owler

owler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Northen NJ
    no it is not spraddle leg. She can squat down normally but cannot put any weight on the leg. The other is leg can take weight but she cannot stand up.

4. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Definitely call MM and let them know. Maybe they can work something out with you.
    Also, I have been told when I have chicks shipped to me, to open the box there so a postal worker can witness any DOA chicks. I think they fill out a paper or something? IDK.

5. owler

owler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Northen NJ
    I did open it up at the post office but all of them must have been standing on the one that was almost dead and I did not see it. I guess I was too anxious to get them home.

I was looking at the leg closer and the toes are all together, kind of like you or I putting the finger tips of one hand together. She is eating and drinking, just can't stand. Kind of pushes herself around with one foot.

6. owler

owler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Northen NJ
    Mostly success.

We lost one barred rock on the third day. I don't know if it was the on with the spraddle legs or not because on the second morning, that one had peckked off the tape on one leg and it was walking around just fine so I left it off.

The one with the problem leg problem is another story. We named her Lefty. She is standing and moving pretty well on one foot. The other is stuck out a little to the side and is not being used. It is turning a darker color each day. She is noticeably smaller than the other chicks and pretty much stays by herself.

The good news is that the other 22 chicks are doing great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by