First Time Chicken Owner Without A Clue On Sex/Breed of Chicks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MeliNChicks, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Hello Everyone!
    I'm a first time chicken mother to 2 adorable chicks in the county of Los Angeles.[​IMG][​IMG] I have/had absolutely no experience in raising/caring for these little rascals the day I got them, roughly a month ago. Thanks to everyone at BYC, I got a crash course on the do's and don't's in caring for Margie and Dougie. I still greatly rely on BYC!!

I wish I could give you more of a background on them, but how I got the babes sounds a little shady, LOL. I was at a family gathering and we were all talking about the veggies we grow. Somehow raising chickens came up. I said I wanted a couple for eggs. This aunt of mine says, "I'll get you some", I laughed and said "NO, I'm not ready". One month after our conversation, she calls and says she has my chicks. I was floored!!! (in a scared/excited kind of way) She gives them to me in a big brown paper bag with adult feed inside! How she acquired Marg and Doug sounds shady! Through a friend of a friend and they were free. I asked her how old they were, she was told 8 days. NOT! I asked her "what breed are they", she replied "top quality!". Huh??? This aunt is a little kooky, so it's hard to get facts from her.

Through research in BYC, I am guessing they were close to 2 weeks or more? They both had wing and tail feathers. One is way bigger, makes me think they hatched 2 weeks apart? Or maybe it a gender thing? Or completely wrong?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

June 22, 2014

So now, they look like this... Sorry that I'm in the pics! These were the only pics I have in my phone from a few days ago. (I'm not at home right now to snap more but I have time to write this thread now) I will take better ones without me in them. I realized I don't have many of the lighter chick.

The lighter chick still has fluff on head, throat, and lower abdomen. The feathers are starting to come in on the fuzzy areas. This chick is smaller that the darker chick. The legs are light/pale, I can see bluish color where the metatarsus meets the tibia.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The dark chick is a pistol! She/he is not as trusting as the lighter one. This one has fluff on the lateral aspects of the head, throat, and a bit on the lower abdomen. The legs are orange. This chick started to develop his/her comb shortly after I got him/her.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As to what breed they are...I have no idea! I think they are Heinz 57. Their colorings are weird to me. They are not a solid color but splotchy/brindle/marbled. The darker chick has white tips on the wing feathers but is mostly black, brown, and red. The lighter chick is light tan, light reddish/taupe, and white. The feathers are more marbled/brindle on him/her., no comb yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank You SO Much for taking the time to read and reply! I look forward to all the replies!!

P.S.
    If it's not to much to ask...
    Can you guess their age also?
    (I'm guessing 6 or 7 weeks old)
    Thank You again.

Sincerely,
    MeliNChicks

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    They look like mixes...
    Do they both have single combs?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    They look like bantam Game chickens. Not EE for sure.

4. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Wow they do look like it! I totally forgot about Game chickens! [​IMG] The EE thing was just a random guess and that was only because of the stripe.......so they might actually be top quality![​IMG]

5. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    [​IMG] You know, when you said that it made me think...isn't there a variety of Game called a "Topline". Maybe that's what the lady meant.

Never mind. I can't find that variety on google. It's just Toppy.

6. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota

7. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    No, it's a pair...rooster and hen. The lighter yellow one is the pullet.

8. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    OK. So aren't Game bantam aggressive?

9. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    They can be but not always to humans. I have Modern Games and most of my roosters are tame, not aggressive. The hens are very tame and easy to handle.

10. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    OK. But are the roos aggressive to each other?
    Arrrggggg.
    The chicks are actually running around in the room at this very moment!
    I just can't keep them in! Be right back! Got to put them back in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The chicks are actually running around in the room at this very moment!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: