First Time Chicken Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mevasquez, May 31, 2016.

1. mevasquez

mevasquez New Egg

May 31, 2016
    Hello,

I just received 6 chickens (2 White Silkies, 2 ISA Browns & 2 Black Sexlinks) and a "coop" for 6 chickens. Then today I bought 2 Buff Orpingotns, 2 Silver Laced Wynadottes & 2 Ameraucanas. I have very limited funds for a coop...HELP! I live in Southern Brown County in Indiana and we have several acres of woods. What kind of 'woods' I have no idea what tree is what and what would be best to use to build a log cabin style coop for up to 15 chickens no roosters yet. Will any small tree work as long as I treat them when assembled? Any info will be appreciated. I am working on supplementing my income while in nursing school but money is super tight and my husband is keeping everything going while I quite working full time and I still have bills to pay but I want a nice home for my girls!

Thank You,
    Mary

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Mary and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I'd suggest that you post your question in the "Coops and Runs" forum where the expert builders will be able to advise.

All the best
    CT

4. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :frow Hi, and Welcome TO BYC!!

:lol: chicken math will get ya quick
    Sounds like you've got a lovely flock ;)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lots of folks use wooden pallets, large appliance shipping crates, etc. for coop materials. Sometimes stores will be dumping out such material and if you ask, it is free for the taking. You may find some cheap googies at RE-Hab stores - windows, doors, screening. Check out your area Craig's list - often people are dumping their coop & birds for free or low cost. It's a great place to find dog houses - chain link fencing etc. It's all a lot easier than cutting down trees on your property

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by