We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

First Time Chicken Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CheeseandCackles, Jul 16, 2019.

1. CheeseandCackles

CheeseandCackles In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Hello all,

In my dream of homesteading I got 5 chicks back in April. Despite moving soon, my friends convinced me I could do it anyway and I took the plunge.

I’ve always been very into animals, but never raised anything beyond a dog, which I have two terrier mutts.
    So first time chicken person here.

The chicks I got from the Tractor supply Company spring chick sale. One is a black Orpington, 2 barnvelders, and 2 Brown ISAs. The BO I secretly think is a Jersey Giant because she is as big if not slightly bigger than the roosters.

Originally I planned on just eating any roosters I got, but quickly got cold feet once they grew up. Turns out both my Barnevelders are Roos and I’ll need to get rid of one at the very least. Haven’t quite gotten the stomach for it yet. Nor do I know which one is the better to keep.

I’ve been using this site a lot for a lot of questions I’ve been having, but it’s good to finally join the discussions!

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Do you know of anyone that could process your roosters for you?

4. CheeseandCackles

CheeseandCackles In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I think my husband would be willing to do the deed. I just want to be part of the process, despite how emotionally tolling it might be the first time.

5. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :jumpyWelcome to the pulse beat of the chicken community, BACKYARD CHICKENS

7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  8. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I hear you. I have a broody on 4 eggs. I'll likely end up with at least 1 cockerel, 4 if it's the way my luck usually runs! I can't keep them. I could leave them in the brooder run to grow them out but it would be very hard to do the deed with the first babies that were hatched and raised by my chickens.

9. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Good luck in resolving your flock issues and in your upcoming move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: