First Time Chicken Owner

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poultrygeist, Sep 17, 2009.

1. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    I'm new to the world of chickens and have 6 adorable 1 month old chicks. My question, given the fact that I'm in north Jersey is what is the best age for them to go in the coop? I've read anywhere from 4 wks. to 8 wks. There must be some optimal age when they're not too young or too old! I've insulated the inside and covered that with two thicknesses of heavy duty construction plastic. Next question -Will this plastic work or will they eat it? Please don't tell me that!

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    They ate the styrofoam shelter wrap off my house that is partially sided!

3. karl lutz

karl lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    If you can poke it with a semi sharp instrument and get some off they will peck it and probably eat it.

4. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    Just got back from Home Depot with some cheep (get it) paneling?

5. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I had my chicks outside once they turned 5 weeks old. We could have done it at 4 weeks but I still wanted them inside to be close to me. It was around 95 degrees during the day and 80 at night so it was perfect temp for them without any heat source. It kind of depends on your climate really. You can put them out early and if it is cold outside then put a light out there for them to stay warm under during the night.

Oh yea they will peck at everything. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mrs Chickens

Mrs Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    Put them out when they are feather up and look like chickens and not chicks then they are ready unless its warm where you are - its cold here 6 to 10 degrees at night.

If you are not sure turn a chick up side down and if it still has fluffy feathers on its underside it not ready if it has prober feathers go for it

As to eating if it moves I will peck it, if it doesn't I will peck it, if you've got it I will peak it so on so forth you get the picture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by