first time chicken owner!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkie101, Jun 23, 2011.

1. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    hi im getting my first chickens in a few weeks and there silkies and are going to be somewhere between 3 days to one week i live in florida and it is HOT out so can i put them outside as soon as i get them? and what do i need to do to prepare for them? please help [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    [​IMG]

Are theses chicks your getting?

If so, you'll need something to serve as a brooder, pine shavings as bedding, a feeder, a waterer, a lamp to provide heat for them and a thermometer to monitor that heat to start.
    The brooder can be something like a large plastic storage tub, a large cardboard box, a childs wading pool. Just use the search function to look up brooders to see what people have used.
    You can get a proper brooder lamp or use a clamp on work light with a bowl-like shield on it to serve as a brooder light. You can use a heat lamp bulb or just a flood light bulb if it's wattage will provide the amount of warmth you need.
    Shavings, (avoid cedar) the feeder and waterer can be had at most feed stores.

Other, more experienced chicken folk can give you more and better advice than I can, but I wouldn't put them outside until they've reached at least four weeks old.

Besides, it's fun to watch the lil fuzzybutts grow!

If they're adults or juveniles, you'll want a secure coop sized for the number of adult chickens you have (and then some), some place for them to run around (also secure from predators), a feeder and waterer sized appropriate to adult chickens.

Good luck and have fun!

3. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Congratulations! I want to get silkies too and I am also learning so I needed the advice as well. Silkies are adorable, I know you are excited.[​IMG]

4. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    thanks for the tips im super exited [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Like turbodog said wood shavings not newspaper. You dont want them to get spraddle legs

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

7. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    [​IMG] good uck with your chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by